Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a crate motor and I came across this websites that been up for several months. The prices are to good to be true (19291332 502 Deluxe for $6500). That over 2-3k less than someone like Jegs and Summit. Anyone ever heard of them or buy anything from them?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Domain created April 21, 2014.
Registered in TN under an address that is a 1200 sq ft home.
Administrator phone listed under WA number.
253-561-xxxx comes up as know telemarketing exchange (as in faked number).

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Steiner...classic internet investigation. Love it. :yes:

·
Registered
8,349 Posts

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
As a former web guy I had a habit of filling in the admin stuff with gibberish because who wants the tons of non-solicited hosting crap that you got based on those admin details in the whois statements. We also did this often if the client was only hiring us to get the site up but not maintain it.

This was long before most reputable registers figured they could charge you more bucks each year for private settings to hide your admin name, address, phone and email contacts.

I set up a few sites with Mickey Mouse as the admin and used Disneyland's main switchboard as the contact number. :)

So I would still rely on TC members testimony and referrals and the better business bureau and the local PD's fraud division when vetting a new vendor with such a young business especially.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When it comes to crate motors I don't think you want to go looking for the cheapest deal you can find. I have been looking at crate engines and decided to go with ATK engines when I have the funds (aka wife allows it). Check them out, plus their here on the forum.

ATK HP ENGINES
WWW.HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ENGINES.COM

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Why the big difference in price? What is actually considered a crate engine? Something that is built by GM, Ford etc. and then resold thru an independent or a salvage yard engine rebuilt and then resold as a crate engine. I've never had the occasion to ever buy a new engine outright but in case it ever happens it would be a good idea to know what exactly is considered cheap. To me $6500.00 isn't cheap. Are not all crate engines the same?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wow, Steiner. I'm impressed! :hurray:

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Wow, Steiner. I'm impressed! :hurray:
Don't be. That's stuff you could find on your phone while sitting on the toilet...... Forget I said that.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
When I see crate engine the first thing that comes to mind is all the post I have read on this site and some others. Before the engine has 1000 miles on it the owner is complaining it is using too much oil. I was shocked by the reasons: oil leaking around thread of rocker arm studs, valve guides too loose, cheap valve seals, Rings installed upside down, and problems with PCV system. $6500 and take a chance, no thanks.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Some of the biggest price differances I've seen on crate engine differances deal with the fact if they come with a warranty and also the length of the warranty.

Cheaper crate motors, off craigs and such, usually are sold as is. Might be a great buy, but investigate the builder if you can and inspect all you can, such as are the parts they say in it, actually in it (I know you can see everything, but enough to at least get an idea.)

Then the mid price crates might have a year or X amount of miles, the more exspensive ones might have a longer warrantly or mileage. Basically your paying "insurance".

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Let's get back to Steiners investigative skills.

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Yeah, speaking of things that don't look right whaddaya reckon this is?......

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
...I'm glad you messed up and forgot the pic...

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
OK. I was under the impression that when someone bought a crate motor it was built by the manufacturer only. ANYBODY can sell a crate motor then. Good to know not to expect much from just ANYONE.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts