Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I was wondering if anyone has a clue how much hp/torque the rear end of a 3rd gen, 3.42, 1990 IROC-Z can take. I was taking a look at aftermarket rear ends today and the one I'm looking at is a good $2200.00 So I'd like to know what my stock rear end is capable of comfortably handling before I go investing money into a new one.

------------------
1990 Camaro IROC-Z 305 TPI.

www.geocities.com/camaromandan/home.html

·
10,147 Posts
If you are drag racing with the stock engine, I think you will eventually have breakage.
If you do anything to increase traction with better tires than stock, it will break sooner.

Post this question in the Engine and Drivetrain section, that's where the rear end experts hang out.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the car is my daily driver, but every so often I might let her rip, I will be getting new rims, my stock ones have a 245 width but the new ones will probrobly 255 to 265 so I dont want to have a broken rear end on my hands, I just want to know with the occasional drag race but mostly a daily driver what I could get outta the stock before having to buy a new rear end.

------------------

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just buy some aftermarket axles. I've broke two stock axles in my 91 RS with the 305. Bought some aftermarket axles and no problems at all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The other thing you can do (and this is a little bit cheaper) is got to www.slpeng.com and look at the Dana 44's that they have. These came in 1992 Firehawks and have an 8.5" ring gear, good axles, a posi, and are ready for factory brakes and torque arm.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I had an 84Z with a 350(325h.p./365tq) and with the rear, I replaced the factory posi with an auburn unit and 3.73 gears. It worked great for the 4 years that I had it. A couple trips to the track, daily driver, and it ran in the 13's without breaking.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
You have not mentioned what engine and transmission you will be using. Eaton has a new posi for the 7.5 that is stronger than any others up to this point. You already have the 28 spline axles, but aftermarket axles would help.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be using my stock 305 and the T5 tranny. I'm in the process of modding the TPI right now, but in the near future I'll be installing an 80-85 shot of nitrous and I want to get a decent set of vortec heads. Unless I can find some really nice aluminum heads I can bolt on. But in the end I want to run between a 12.0-12.3 with the nitrous, so I dont know how much work I have ahead of me, my other concern is the tranny, I need to know what It will handle, as i said daily driver, but I will let it loose once in a while.

------------------

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
The 7.5 rear end will handle as much or more than the T-5 will. I don't think the rear end will be your problem.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

1 - 9 of 9 Posts