Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a six cyl to 327 conversion.

I was going to switch from the stock accelerator cable to an accelerator rod. After reading the posts, I am thinking I should just use the stock cable. I will be using a edelbrock 600 cfm carb.

Can anyone see any reason I should'nt just keep the stock cable?

Will this work?

Thanks a ton,
Steve

This car is a 1968 Camaro.

[This message has been edited by Sgrouse (edited 11-14-2002).]

·
Registered
500 Posts
You didn't mention what year Camaro you have. For originality's sake 67-69 only used cables on six cylinder models. I'm not sure you can adapt the six cable to a V-8. I would think it'll be too long. The throttle cable bracket on most V-8's mounts directly behind the carb. You might be able to use a 70-74 V-8 cable and bracket if you're using a Q-jet, but again I'm not sure. There are adjustable brackets available and if you're running a TH350 trans the kickdown cable will also need to be adapted to fit.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Yes, it will work. I'm using this setup.

I bought the throttle cable/kickdown bracket from Summit (chrome deal for $5 or so) and slapped it on. The cable is a bit too long, but it still works and doesn't look bad at all.

Actually, I prefer the look of it. Much cleaner, and less stuff to get in the way. I would recommend that you stick with the cable, IMO.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sorry, I forgot about the cross-ram.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the consensus is to keep my cable.

I found a 70-73 Camaro v8 - 4v throttle cable @ NPD for about $20.00 or the stock six cyl. cable. Looks like from your advice the 70-73 would be best?

p.s. they also have a cable for 75-81 v8 camaro

Thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I switched mine over to the mechanical linkage when converting from 6 - 8. I used a piece of 1/4" stainless polished rod and threaded the ends and used some aircraft style rod ends. Looks pretty slick in my opinion. I prefer the feel of a solid linkage over a cable.
Just my $.02

------------------
Jason Renschler
Gilbert, AZ
1968 Camaro - 350 4-speed
1969 Camaro - 350 4-speed
1968 Shortbed - 250 3-speed

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a 327 setup that I would be willing to trade for the six cylinder throttle cable setup if you're interested... I'm going fuel injection, and will need the throttle cable setup. I was going to modify my existing setup if necessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts