Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing in my 67 Camaro while I had the motor out. I hear a slight throwout bearing noise when the clutch is depressed, and it totally goes away when the clutch is engaged. My question is, do you have to put a ton of grease on that inside collar of the throwout bearing? I only put a little on, knowing what flying grease can do to the disc! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Sometimes the clutch fork isn't properly located on the bearing - the end of the fork with the bent-over ears goes fully inside the groove, although it looks like the bent-over ears are supposed to capture the outer edge of the bearing sleeve. I've seen this many times. Worth checking out...

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
598 Posts
Grease is not your problem. You probably just need to take up more slack in the linkage down where the lower rod presses on the fork. I had the same problem when I replaced my clutch last year and the throw-out bearing was rattling. A few turns on the lower rod and the rattling went away.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I second BoneCrushers comment... I had the same thing with our SS350 after new clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Adjusted linkage so clutch engaged higher on the pedal (lengthen rod to put more preload) and squeal when pedal was depressed went away!

Good Luck

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood.

'85 Z/28, 355 TPI w/ Crane Compu-Cam 2040, Crane adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 22# Injectors, TPIS Airfoil, K&N filters, Hypertech ThermoMaster Stage 2 Chip for '85 Vette, 160 Degree Thermostat, DynoMax Cat Back Exhaust, Rebuilt/Updated 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.23 posi rearend.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I adjusted (lengthened) the clutch adjustment rod a little bit last week, seemed to improve the situation a little. I think I need a little more because the clutch pedal still has more play in it than I would like, but I feel like I'm getting close to the end of the adjustment on the rod...could that be with a new clutch? Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
If you replaced a stock diapragm type preeusre plate with a three finger type pressure plate, you did get the longer throwout bearing didn't you?

The stock pressure plate uses a short throwout bearing that will not allow you to adjust the clutch linkage enought to fully engage the clutch with a 3 finger setup. Seem situations where the Z bar arms actually hits the firewall before the clutch is fully engaged. The diference in length is probably 1/2"

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, it's a Zoom diaphragm clutch, the disc,pressure plate and throw out bearing came as a kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts