Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just installing my M21 on a DZ302 and have a question about the position of the throw out bearing on the clutch fork. I understand the function of the spring type claps inside the clutch fork as far as holding the throw out bearing while mounting the transmission. What I am not sure of is are the springs supposed to hold the throw out bearing in the same position, secured under the clips all the way until the transmission is bolted back up to the bell housing? It felt like the bearing came off of the slips as I slid the transmission into place. Understand that I am installing the transmission back on the motor by myself while it is in the car so those of you that have done this before can agree it is not too easy to tell exactly what is going on.

Thanks as always for your help. Team Camaro Rocks!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
As long as the fork clips are positioned correctly in the bearing, it should be able to "find" its way into the right location.

If you have to struggle to install the input shaft of the trans, or the fork clips are a little weak, it can pop the TO bearing off of the fork. But even so, it will be noticeable if there is a considerable problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thank you im with you on thr fork springs what im asking is in the throw out berrring the round tube in the center has a high spot on it to keep the berring 369 degrees in the fork. does the high spot go betweeen the forks or out side the forks or does it even matter ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Look hard at the pic a you'll see that the TB is grabbed by the clutch fork spring metal at the TB slot. Very important that its attached at that point.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I did a search, and came across this thread. I just installed my throwout bearing and clutch fork. It appears the bearing is not in the middle of the bellhousing :confused: In the top picture, it looks as if this one is the same way. Will it align up when the tranny is installed?? Thanks, Kevin

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Yes its normal...Its just the pivot angle that the fork is in until you install the trans & then the TB will center up on the trans bearing caller.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Know what you are saying and thinking in your sleep, TO bearing tube will line up once the transmission input shaft goes in and then bearing tube will be riding on the trans bearing retainer, thingy that is bolted to front of trans. Always has and will.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts