Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 68' Camaro with a 355 small block.. Very cookie cutter engine for a 68'....The engine was rebuilt beautifully by a reputable mechanic in my area around 6 years ago. Since then I have had no problems until now. I pulled it out of cold storage a few months back and despite a dead battery it ran just fine. But because I chose to take it to a different mechanic for an oil change and a quick tune up, I now have a laundry list of problems. Most of which I have fixed myself. But I simply cannot figure out why my engine ticks as soon as i shut it off.. whether I start it up for a few min, or drive it all around town. Has anyone had this problem before. Advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 68' Camaro with a 355 small block.. Very cookie cutter engine for a 68'....The engine was rebuilt beautifully by a reputable mechanic in my area around 6 years ago. Since then I have had no problems until now. I pulled it out of cold storage a few months back and despite a dead battery it ran just fine. But because I chose to take it to a different mechanic for an oil change and a quick tune up, I now have a laundry list of problems. Most of which I have fixed myself. But I simply cannot figure out why my engine ticks as soon as i shut it off.. whether I start it up for a few min, or drive it all around town. Has anyone had this problem before. Advice would be appreciated.
From my experience, this is usually an aluminum part that has heated and expanded while running, and as it begins to cool it ticks. Not sure if this is the case, but could be.

I love your tag line too.:yes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I know when I drive my car for an extended period of time and turn it off there's a faint ticking noise near my header collectors. But Im pretty certain that isn't the case here. I took it to a different mechanic to have them diagnose the problem, and if all else fails I'll pay for another oil change. I have a sneaking suspicion that they might have put the wrong oil or didnt fill the oil filter before they installed it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wrong oil wouldn't make it tick when it's it running. Like Steve said, the ticking is probably caused by some metal shrinking back down as it cools. (Unless it is something electrical)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only ticks when I shut it off.. Even if my car runs for 10 seconds

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. Can you isolate about where the noise seems to be coming from? How long does it tick for?
It sounds like its coming from inside the block, I haven't put a stethoscope to it yet.. I just hope its nothing catastrophic.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Do you have headers? They will tick as they cool off. So will a lot of the metal parts on an engine.
You're worrying over nothing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not particularly sure exactly how this "ticking sound" sounds like but I think they may be your header/exhaust gaskets popping when you shut off your engine, that's assuming you have headers on your car. Like someone said before the expansion and contracting of metal might be the issue here since these gaskets contain metal in them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts