Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a ticking sound coming from under the hood. It does not happen when the motor is cold but it starts to appear as it gets warmer and is constant at operating temps. I initially thought it was in need of a valve lash but I used my stethoscope to listen in and it doesn't appear to be coming from the valve train. I also checked the lash on the side it's coming from and everything appears to be okay. It is definitely coming from the drivers side and I can hear it better from atop the engine rather than underneath. That might be just because it's not as noisy under the hood.

I have a 489 with a comp mag 294s, solid mech lifters. The motor has about 5000 miles on it and I relashed 6 months ago. I maybe have 1000 miles on it since then and am due to change the oil. I have Shell Rotella T 20-50 in there now. How far out of lash in thousandths would it take to cause a tick? Any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Have you checked for an exhaust leak? Might also look under the hood at night and see if a plug wire is sparking. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought of the spark plug issue because it almost sounds like an arc of electricity. I unplugged all the spark plugs and reconnected them at the dizzy and plugs. I also moved the wires around a bit. That didn't work so I ended up taking it to the mechanical that I trust. He used a rubber hose to isolate the tick. He did say it was an exhaust leak and that it was coming from the back of the motor. That makes sense b/c I switched out my headers about 9 months ago. I proceeded to tighten them up as best I could but when I was done, the ticking was still there. I am guessing that I will have to take the right side off and make sure the gasket isn't faulty, crack, etc.

I will fire it up at night to check for a spark before I go through all the work of taking the header off. I can't believe I didn't think to do that. I will also use my own hose to find out where the noise is coming from so I know where to look.

Other than the noise, is it bad to have a small exhaust leak?

·
Registered
551 Posts
switch to either copper or aluminum gaskets for better sealing - otherwise if you're going to stick with felpro type gaskets - soak them in water for awhile prior to installation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I chased this same problem for several weeks. Could have sworn it was an internal engine problem. Sounded like metal on metal. Checked for spark plug insulation leaks with lights off...the whole shooting match. Come to find out is was a slight leak in my header gasket.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I chased this same problem for several weeks. Could have sworn it was an internal engine problem. Sounded like metal on metal. Checked for spark plug insulation leaks with lights off...the whole shooting match. Come to find out is was a slight leak in my header gasket.
ditto - thats why i'm putting in the alum's this weekend - and yes mine sounds like its beating the hell out of a lifter, but it's been checked and it's not.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am havin a similar thing happening to me... I am by no means a mechanic. I was just wondering how you checked the header gasket? is that something that can be visually seen, or does the engine need to be taken apart?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Look for a black streak or depending on where it is leaking you might feel it with your finger before things get hot. Once a gasket leaks very long the only way to fix it is replace it. A very slight leak won't hurt as long as there is nothing flammable near it but they sure make an outfit sound like crap. Also, the leak will just keep getting bigger until it very well could be a fire hazard or fill the car/truck with carbon monoxide.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Couple of thoughts to offer:

1. Someone in a similar post just recently said that a porcelain crack in a spark plug was resulting in this type of sound.

2. Also - what I've found can work well for locating exhaust leaks is to take take a moist rag (to keep from burning) and hold it over various areas and press fairly firmly (keeping your hands clear - or wear some leather gloves). Keep moving it around and see if it blocks/muffles the sounds - this techniques has worked very well for me in finding the exhaust leaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts