Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about replacing my non tilt with a tilt steering column floor shift for ease of entering/exiting. I see replacement columns are listed at 32 and 33" in length. Which one do I need for my 1969 camaro...power steering, full length headers, stock steering box, SBC with T350 trans.

Thanks for any input

Rick

·
14,697 Posts
It sounds like you’re looking at universal fit as opposed the 69 Camaro specific?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I run an Ididit specific fit. Really like it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I found a factory GM tilt , The company had 2 so I bought both of them . They get BIG MONEY for factory GM tilts but that's ok because it has never been so easy to get in and out of the car and I feel it was money well spent

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a factory GM tilt , The company had 2 so I bought both of them . They get BIG MONEY for factory GM tilts but that's ok because it has never been so easy to get in and out of the car and I feel it was money well spent
Hey Tom, can you measure the ones you have for me. I still haven't found the stock length for a 69. I see you have a 67. I'm guessing that both the 32 and 33" will "work" in my 69. The steering wheel dish in the 67 and 68 are deeper than the 69. The 1" is not much but if would like to know your measurement in one of your 67 columns just as reference.

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the same quandry you are, except I'm looking for a tilt steering column for a 67. I have found that depending on which tilt steering column you get and what steering wheel you have, you may need a wheel adapter which would move the steering wheel 2.5 inches closer to the driver. Just Beware !!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice Lync. I removed an aftermarket steering wheel that was on my car when I bought it. I located a stock original one and replaced the aftermarket one. I removed the wheel adapter that was on the aftermarket one, so a wheel adapter should not come into play for my situation.

All advice and beware info is welcome

Rick

·
14,697 Posts
I would only use a model specific GM 2nd choice column would be my second choice and Ididit make and model specific.

Several on eBay at this time I would not suggest using a universal fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts