Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a tilt column from a 67 or 68 and need to disassemble it for rebuild and paint. I have done this with a nontilt with no problems but I cant figure out how to get the tilt column apart. I did a search on this subject and some people mentioned the service manual but I am unclear on which service manual they are refering to, can any one tell me how to take it apart? I have the wiring removed and can not get the movable or the stationary bowls on the column to come off.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The movable bowl has two pins that go thru the movable bowl into the column support housing. They are 180 degrees apart and this is what the wheel actually tilts on. The column support is the inner part that is held on with 4 bolts If you find the pins they will have treaded holes in the ends, find two screws that will fit, screw the screws into the pins. They are a press fit but you can generally pull them with pliers. Once the pins are out it should come apart. Take note of spacers and trust washers and where they went or you will wind up with play in the wheel. If I remember correctly you have to take everything off the lower rag joint end so that whole inner works will move up enought to get to the pins, the pins are behind the lower nonmovable bowl.
Hope that helps. Also there is a nice parts breakdown picture in the Year One Camaro catalog, if you don't have a parts manual
Bill

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS BILL I AM GOING TO GIVE IT ANOTHER SHOT TONIGHT. I WOULD NOT HAVE FIGURED IT OUT WITHOUT SOME HELP. THANK YOU. IF YOU DONT MIND I MAY EMAIL WITH ANY QUESTIONS.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sure would be glad to help if I can
I made a copy of Year One Parts breakdown. I could scan it and send it, last time I tried that I got the picture too big, took forever to transmit.It is a picture of a 69 thru 78, but is pretty much the same except for key location.
Bill

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still lost on getting this thing apart. I looked at the Year One picture and still cant figure it out. I ordered the service manual and hope it shows something. I dont know how to get the lower stationary bowl down the column to expose the pins you were refering to. If you can help further I would appreciate it. Sorry I'm so dumb!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts