Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what it would take to convert a column shift column to a floor shift? I found a good deal on a tilt but it has the column shifter.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Are you talking about the one on ebay? I was thinking the same thing, but I already have a tilt.

All you need to do is replace the bowl that has the shift lever. I'm not positive, but I think they are the same for tilt and non tilt. The word "Camaro adds a lot of cost to purchases. I'll bet the bowls are the same for lots of 60's and 70's cars. Search junkyards or ebay for a cheap one, and make the switch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, the one on ebay. So, I could use the parts on my non-tilt to make it work? Would the wiring plug into the column the same being from a nova?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, the one on ebay. So, I could use the parts on my non-tilt to make it work? Would the wiring plug into the column the same being from a nova?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
There are VERY few parts that are the same on a tilt and non tilt column. The bowl is definitely not one of them. The inside of the bowl holds the 'tilt ' part of the mechanism and is completely different.
The gear shift lever can be removed and discarded. Then cut off the lever mounting ears, fill with JB WELD, sand and paint. The column will work fine as far as tilt etc.
You will have to dissemble to do this.
The wiring and turn signal switch is the same.
Before I would pay the ridiculous price they gennerally ask or ebay, I would go to the junk yard and get one out of a late 60's early 70's gm car Most of them are interchangable.
I have never payed more than 25 dollars for a tilt. They are not original but you can not tell after they are painted.
Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts