Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellas,

First time posting here. I have been a Team Chevelle member for 4 years. This site looks outstanding as well.

I have a 1980 Camaro tilt column with bolt style attachment to the intermediate shaft pot. The intermediate shaft is the piece that fits between the rag joint and the steering column.
The problem is my car uses the splined intermediate shaft pot. I was thinking of transfering a female bolt style pot to the shaft or even drilling a hole through the splined pot and bolting it together.

Thanks in advance,
Perhaps someone out there has a solution.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro! Spend some time searching the archives, this has come up before. Here's a link to an old thread on what I did to put '75 T/A column in my '69. I ordered the coupler Jim identified, but I'm ashamed to admit I haven't put it in yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Randy,

First off your car is a real looker! I really liked what you did with the interior. The black vinyl top is excellent. I will be using a black vinyl top on my car. Those pins are hard to sand around though when doing bodywork on the roof.

I phoned GM for the price of the coupler and of course the price is almost double of what it is in the states $92.40. That is wholesale price. I will have to go to the junkyard and pick up a coupler. The thing is that those pinch bolts are gonna be on tight! The rad joint bolts will be tight too. They will likely be rusted as well.
I could use a a hacksaw but I would be there for hours. I have to bring a long pipe to remove the bolts too.

That is a good suggestion about welding the a flat style coupler to the intermediate shaft. The weld would have to be well done and I heard it was hardened steel which might make it harder to weld. I can't imagine if that weld failed at 65 mph's! I wonder if the welded shaft would still collapse in an accident?

I also wonder how hard it is to change the intermediate shaft coupler from splined to non-splined. In the diagram from the manual it looks to be a simple operation. I wonder if there are any wear parts of those things?

Kris

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks, I've really enjoyed the build process.

Ouch $92.40! Any luck with http://gmpartsdirect.com/ ?

A sawzall is a great junkyard tool :D

The steel didn't strike me as being hardened, it cut easy and welded fine. You're right though, the concern over what might happen is what prompted the coupler purchase. that I have yet to install...

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hi guys
I have rebuilt many columns
You can swap steering shafts from a splined column pretty easy... Look for columns that are same basic length for donor parts. I have some splined shafts if you can't find any.

couple of speciality tools needed
1) Tool for removing spring lock plate (looks like a "U" with a shaft that threads onto where the steering wheel sits and pushes down on lock plate so snap ring can be removed.
2) tool for pulling side pivots from inner column.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts