Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Could someone please verify some measurements for me?
Bought a rebuilt tilt steering column off GMTILT and I am having trouble with horn parts and would like to know if everything is sitting in the correct location.
From end of steering column shaft(steering wheel end) to the little bronze button I measure 1-3/4 inches.
Then I slide the large spring on the shaft followed by the cam ring, with the turn signal cancel bump outs at roughly 8 o'clock and 10 o'clock. The horn contact is about 12 o'clock.(little plunger with little spring behind it) that measures 1-1/8 from end of shaft. also sits at the base of the knurled part for the steering column. Then I place steering wheel on and pushing hard on wheel manage to get nut on steering shaft(not enough threads to get flat washer on

Is everything sitting where they are supposed to? Measurement wise, is it correct?.
The reason I'm asking is the deluxe steering wheel does not compress the large spring enough to allow the cam to cancel the turn signal lever or touch the bronze button . There is also a gap between steering wheel and top cap of tilt column. How much thread is left exposed after steering wheel is torque to specs.
Sorry, I can't upload any pictures. It's a 67 vert if that helps.

Steve

·
Registered
83 Posts
The h order seems correct. I just had my wheel off last week while working on my horns. Unfortunately I did not do any measurement or take pictures. The signal cancellation collar with the tube for the horn plunger goes throug one of the holes on steering wheel. If no one else responds to this post by Monday,repost and I will take my wheel off and do measurements and take some pictures

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Does the steel plate have the retaining ring holding it down. You have to use a tool to compress it down. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Agitator,
That's awfully kind of you to go to that trouble.
I hope someone will chime in so you don't have to do that.
Much appreciated.
Also, how did you find the horn pieces in fitment? The three screws going the thru the ring seem to be too short to pass thru the plastic ring, the cup and thru the dish shaped metal thing and then thru the chrome piece into the steering wheel.

Steve

·
13,718 Posts
Did you push the plate down with the correct tool and install the snap ring? That what holds everything in place. The steering wheel itself does not compress the spring.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you push the plate down with the correct tool and install the snap ring? That what holds everything in place. The steering wheel itself does not compress the spring.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYHj4Gzoxk

Your kidding me?
All the searches I did and parts catalogs online and even the AIM book, I don't remember seeing a snap ring mentioned!!
Does this apply to a 67 or is it because I changed to a tilt column?
It sure is the simple things in life that frustrate you the most!!
Thanks
I would still like to verify the measurements. If someone could let me know, that would be great.

Steve

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,320 Posts
I know it's on my tilt column, but I have a 69. Not 100% sure about 67 tilts. Ohh, just thought of something. My key is in the column. Your tilt does not have the key in the column, correct? My Bad. You might be right.

Brett.....

·
13,718 Posts
Well knowing what year helps.

So with the hub pulled it should look like this before you reinstall it.

The cam ring goes in before the spring. Above you wrote you put the spring on before the ring?

0921303A-6FC1-4300-A6AD-C0926A245FDA.jpeg

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mentioned the year in my first post.
That picture is for a non-tilt column.
On a tilt column the spring goes under the cam canceling device.

Steve

·
13,718 Posts
I mentioned the year in my first post.
That picture is for a non-tilt column.
On a tilt column the spring goes under the cam canceling device.

Steve
Yep. I see the year now at the bottom of the post.

The cam ring is different for tilt and standard. Do you have the correct one?

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm pretty sure I do.
I have two different ones and only one fits with spring underneath.

Steve

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's why I thought the measurements would help.
I don't see the retaining (snap) ring in the picture you sent. Is it there but not labelled?

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
The ring is not installed yet in that picture. The plate goes on next, then compress it about an inch more with the tool and and the install the ring. Its not really a snap ring. More like a round split ring.

·
13,718 Posts
Doesn’t look like there are snap rings on the 67 columns

The springs are also different for tilt and non tilt. That might be causing the problem?

AEBCE0B2-AFFA-4758-A152-2C3E65FF066A.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
My 67 nova had a ring.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe Agitator will chime in and say if his has a snap ring or not.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
The columns that GMTILT sells are hybrid columns made up of several different columns. I suggest you contact him for a solution since it is highly unlikely that is a 67 factory tilt column. It could be but I doubt it....

If you paid around $500 then it is not a 67 factory tilt....

Don

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Someone out there must have the same setup as I do.
I don't even know if there is a problem until I can check and verify the measurements.
Agitator has nicely offered to remove his steering wheel and let me know the measurements but I'd rather find someone that has their column sitting on a work bench somewhere that could get me a quick measurement.
Please respond if you can help.

Thanks,

Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts