Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an OEM tilt wheel and want to change out the standard wheel in my 69. So I started to look it up in the assembly manual and it states there that the car has to be set on its frame rails and pins are needed.

?? For what? Is there anything special I need to know when taking the old one out and replacing it? I have a new rag joint for the column. Any help would be great. How about a good manual that shows the procedure
done right.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
The frame rail & pin thing sounds like they were talking about setting the subframe on the car.
You don't have to go there. Should be a straight forward procedure. I know 67's are pretty simple, but 69's? Not sure exactly what's involved, but can't be to much harder. You just have the ignition in the column to deal with.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've changed to a tilt column in my last two '69 Camaro's and there's really nothing special to do other than swapping out the ignition switches. I don't know if the rag joints are different or not because the columns I bought came with them. I know one thing for sure you'll love the tilt column. I also installed quick ratio power steering in the Z28 I have now, and it's great having it. Good luck with your tilt column.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hate to say it, but...

I apologize for providing mis-information on the rag joints. I was wrong.

[This message has been edited by Scoop69RS-SS (edited 04-09-2002).]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tilt columns and standard columns use the same rag joint, however power steering and non-power are different.
AL.

------------------
'69 Z28 (X77 D80 72 72)
302, GM Crossram, Steel Crossram Hood, Doug Nash 5 speed, 3.42's
Body Engine1 UnderHood

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scoop69RS-SS:
Yup, the rag joints are different.

Rick-O
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I install the tilt column the rag joint is different from a non tilt wheel?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I didn't see any difference in the rag joints going from a standard column to a tilt column but when I went to the power steering the rag joints were different like 302XRAM mentioned.

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Everyone,

I've got a 67 and want to put an original tilt in it that came with the car. Is ther anything that needs to be rebuilt or anything to be especially careful of? I have a new wiring harness. I will need a new rag joint. Does anyone know of a "how-to" within camaros.net? Thanks in advance.

------------------
Barry Holland
1967 RS/SS Convertible
Red w/White top and Interior
355 w/ 280H Comp Cam, 9.75:1, 461's (2.02/1.6), Holley 750 VS
PowerGlide w/ 2500 stall
4.10 12 bolt posi., 25.1" tires (60 series)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Barry H, I don't know if there's any difference between the '67 and the '69 models when it comes to changing them out, but with mine it was very simple. I disconnected the wires on the column, removed the plate where the column goes through the firewall, removed the two bolts that holds the column to the dash, and removed the two bolts at the rag joint. At this point it should pull right out. You'll probably want to change out the ignition switch where you'll have the same key for the door. If the blinker and flasher work fine and the tilt column is good and tight you should be good to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts