Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang, I have been working on restoring my 69 and it's time to get a whole car harness. This is the next step to get her in forward motion. I would like some opinions on the direction to take.
I would like a semi custom harness that is factory style. Is there a company that makes them to order? I do not want to buy one and then cut into it. It seems kinda pointless because the added things I would like, are common upgrades. like:

1 wire alternator
cowl hood switch
have leads for electric fan and relay
power leads for RS conversion (like DSE)
have a spot to tie into for an aftermarket 3 gauge setup under dash (oil,temp,volts)

are the new harnesses glass fuse or newer ones?

about the car. Owned since 1988, original 69 X22 RS/SS. Motor and trans are long gone. We got it back from the body shop last year after a long rotisserie resto using 95% NOS panels. There are some easily changed aftermarket parts (suspension) to make the car drive better but we want it to look like a factory resto from a quick glance. Interior stock with no console,and speedo, center fuel and factory tach in the dash.

any advice is much appreciated.

Scott

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Re: time for a new whole wiring harness, but....

American Autowire hands down. Sound like you wouldn't even need the custom one Builder or Highway series just their Classic Update series.

I have a 1 wire alternator, dual electric fans, DSE RS electric conversion, aftermarket console and dash gauges, battery relocated to the trunk. Currently mocking up electrical system but very impressed with the quality, fit and finish and directions included in my AAW Classic update kit.

I'd call them and talk to them about your specific needs they were very helpful.

http://www.americanautowire.com/

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts

AAW has glass or new fuses and most of the things you want. You will probably have to buy the cowl hood harness separately but you should ask them. I would highly recommend you do not use a 1-wire alt as it has no remote sensing at the power distribution point which is easy to wire up. I would use the new system detailed here: http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml. Lots of good info there for anyone working on a first gen. You can run relays for all the accessories off this platform.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts

American Autowire is very high quality! You won't be disappointed. Highly recommended. :yes:

American Autowire hands down. Sound like you wouldn't even need the custom one Builder or Highway series just their Classic Update series.

I have a 1 wire alternator, dual electric fans, DSE RS electric conversion, aftermarket console and dash gauges, battery relocated to the trunk. Currently mocking up electrical system but very impressed with the quality, fit and finish and directions included in my AAW Classic update kit.

I'd call them and talk to them about your specific needs they were very helpful.

http://www.americanautowire.com/

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

Used a Painless 18 harness. Wish I hadnt. Works ok but, had a lot of trouble with it. Several dead circuts and instructions were not very clear on what to do or wire certain things up... My other car, I am going to use AAW...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Im on the aaw banwagon. There stuff is simple and there tech guys are good.
Tip:if you have electric choke order your engine harness with the idle stop silinoid. That wire is the perfect lengh to carb and works perfect for the choke. Its a nice factory look. Not sure if anyone else has tried that?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is great to hear about AAW. I will have to go through everything I need and give them a shout after the silly season.

Thanks for all the help

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts