Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be a very interesting restoration journey for several reasons including learning about the first year Gen I Camaro and its many differences from our ‘68 model, and also differences of parts used within the first year. What an welcome experience researching and working with an authentic “real deal” 1967 427 Yenko Rally Sport?
Important to provide some information to not confuse anyone as this ‘67 Yenko is not mine. I wish it was, but belongs to a good friend who knows my interest in research and continual learning. After reviewing the car I was hooked on learning a whole lot more. It’s a team project but I volunteered to communicate the journey and sharing information both known and learned similar to our “Time for another 68 Z/28 to be restored”. Let the journey begin.
The car had been sitting for 31 years, hence a lot of dust. A few pictures upon initial view and inspection.
Vehicle Grille Car Motor vehicle Hood
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The two hidden Vins pictured-7N227311
NCRS Shipping Report states official production date was 05/29/67 and delivered to dealer 899, zone 13, which was Yenko Chevrolet in Canonsburg, PA.
Automotive tire Grey Rectangle Font Wood
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Human body

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the initial steps was a general inspection of body parts as the goal will be to utilize as much as possible of the Yenko’s original panels. Body panels and parts like the original quarter panels (three different designs used in '67), fenders, doors, radiator support, etc. were all intact. Note on the original 67 radiator support the original holes for the hood pins. Initial review of panels and date codes found this Camaro body to be original and above average in condition when reviewing what could be seen. I liked what I saw around the floor/trunk pans, doors, and window opening areas but we knew there had been some quarter panel wheel well opening repairs completed so the final tabulation will be noted when body and panels are media blasted to bare medal. Will report on that and better review of panel date codes
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Wall
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Vehicle door
Composite material Metal Wood Auto part Font
Tire Automotive tire Wood Grey Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Eye Eyelash Wood Grey Art
when completed.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I'll be watching this thread, too. Not very often we get to see a rare car come through. Best of luck with the restoration, documentation, and research!

Reactions: 68camaroz28

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
During that general inspection It did not take long to realize holes for emblems, rear panel RS light openings, and the like had been closed up during the cars early years of drag racing which also showed a few layers of other colored paint added to the Yenko’s original factory Bolero Red. While reviewing overall panel and body condition we documented the Bolero Red overspray areas and here are a few pics of what found on this NOR built ‘67 Camaro.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle Wood
Window Brick Automotive tire Wood Bumper
Road surface Brick Asphalt Grey Automotive exterior
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The two doors with Bolero Red remnants are dated 19th & 20th week. Much of the sheet metal is dated between these two weeks. Nineteenth week May 8 to May 14, and 20th week May 15 to May 21. Again, after media blasting we will record and list dates found.
Road surface Asphalt Grey Tar Sidewalk
Water Grey Font Road surface Material property

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Radiator Supports are date coded where the Voltage Regulator attaches and can be difficult to spot.
This Yenko's '67 radiator support dated 19th week and can be barely seen in the black outlined box. The picture showcases how in a car with voltage regulator would be extremely difficult to find. Difficult enough when out of car knowing where to look.
Wood Line Font Gas Pattern

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The two doors with Bolero Red remnants are dated 19th & 20th week. Much of the sheet metal is dated between these two weeks. Nineteenth week May 8 to May 14, and 20th week May 15 to May 21. Again, after media blasting we will record and list dates found. View attachment 291580 View attachment 291581
Sorry for the wrong info as both doors are stamped 19th week. The quarters were stamped 19th and 20th week.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
See post 9
Good job!
We could see the rs rear light openings were filled in upon inspection but will be interesting to see the technique used back then. My bet is bang bam and done job as it was just filling in holes on our weekend warrior. Will report back after media blasting.

·
Premium Member
15,057 Posts
Radiator Supports are date coded where the Voltage Regulator attaches and can be difficult to spot.
This Yenko's '67 radiator support dated 19th week and can be barely seen in the black outlined box. The picture showcases how in a car with voltage regulator would be extremely difficult to find. Difficult enough when out of car knowing where to look.
View attachment 291588
This is what I like about this site. You learn things about your car, even after 56 years of owning it. Didn't know this build date was here. My car was a second week in Jan. 67, build and the number on the radiator support is 51. I had to stand on my head to find it.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749 Fred Gibb Chevrolet
8,219 Posts
Certainly is an awesome find. But we haven't heard anything about the existing drivetrain yet?!?:) 4spd if my eyes aren't failing me as it looks like the non-Muncie (speedo) hole is plugged. Looks like an RS hole next to the master cylinder hole. I assume it's got a "Magic Mirror" cowl tag? YS tag in the door jamb?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts