Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
327 4 brl (Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm). Stock cam & distributor but with a Pertronix kit in it

What is good idle vacuum (distributor vacuum plugged)?

I have it at 13 now...thinking it needs to be lower

Was measuring total advance and when I bring it to 3000 rpm I get about 30-32 degrees advance. Subtracting 13 from 32 gives me 19 degrees total advance....if I am calculating all this correctly

was wanting 34 total advance

·
Retired
26,739 Posts
Your 327 will probably run nice with 36 total. Try setting it there and don't worry about the idle advance being higher, just adjust the idle back down to where you want it. It should run cooler at low rpm, and have better throttle response. Test it for pinging under load and adjust it lower if you need to.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your 327 will probably run nice with 36 total. Try setting it there and don't worry about the idle advance being higher, just adjust the idle back down to where you want it. It should run cooler at low rpm, and have better throttle response. Test it for pinging under load and adjust it lower if you need to.
So just set timing advance at 3000 RPM to 34-36 degrees and let the idle advance be whatever it is at idle RPM?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
So your not using vacuum advance? wasn't real clear on that.

I wouldn't go much more than 12-13 or so initial timing,you might get away with as much as 15 initial but may strain your starter a bit.
Add a couple degrees to your mechanical advance to get the 34 or 36 total you're looking for,keeping 12 or so initial, then see how it runs.

If you were using vacuum advance you could have 20-25 at idle with 36 total at full throttle.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. Set the total timing at 35 and now timing at idle is 16. Runs great. Fine tuning the idle lean on the new carb

no bog, hesitation or pinging with the new adjustments.

Before the total timing was 30. The 6 degrees more sure made a diffrence

1 - 8 of 8 Posts