Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 383 motor in my 69 Camaro. It is 9.5 to 1 compression witht the entire Edelbrock RPM system (heads, manifold, 750cfm carb, cam). I have an hei distributor with a Mallory Coil and an MSD6 box. The motor has been overheating at idle, so I started taking a look at my timing and I am not sure what I need.

Here are my current specs...

At 600 rpm it is 10BTDC w/o the vac advance
At 1000rpm it is 10btdc w/o the vac advance
At 2000rpm it is 15btdc w/o the vac advance
At 2500rpm it is 18btdc w/o the vac advance
(All of these setting were with the vac. advance disconnected)

When I connect the vac advance I am at 20btdc at 1000 rpms.

How does this sound to you guys? What if anything do I need to adjust? How do I go about it?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got basically the same 383 but 9.4 to 1 I got max power on the dyno with a total advance of 38 degrees.... sounds like you've got a problem with the dist.

------------------
keepin' it original 69Z

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little bit of follow up, should total advance include th vac. advance or just the mechanical? Should I get a new set of springs for my distributor? At what rpm should total adavnce take place?

Thanks again.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
This should help put one light spring one heavey spring under roter.Start car bring to proper temp disconect vac line plug it hock up timing light rev up to 3000 rpm set timing at 35 degreas total tighten dist.Hock line up may idel a little high set idel to 850 rpms hopefulley you have timing tape around your balancer.If not advance timing just till it pings then back off a little till ping goes away if you advance to far as to it does not wont to fire retard timing a little but timing tape is the ticket.Don 396.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts