Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I've got a small leak on my new build coming out of the timing cover seal where the balancer slides in. I greased the seal before installation, so not sure why there is a problem. Can I pull this seal and replace without taking the cover off? It will be a big PITA to have to pull the cover and pan, especially since I did such an awesome job sealing the cover and pan to the block. :smile2:.

Thought I read that there is a tool at the local hardware store that can be rented to pull these and then reinstall?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes it is possible to replace the seal without removing the timing chain cover. Procure a short piece of PVC pipe that fits over the crank snout. Before you tap the new seal in place fill the area where the spring is with heavy wheel bearing grease to prevent the spring from popping off when you drive the seal in with the PVC pipe.

Vince

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
You can make an install tool if your crank snout is threaded. (small block is 7/16-20.) Use the pipe Vince mentioned and cut it square. (chop saw) Thread a chunk of all-thread in the crank snout , slide the pipe over it with a bigass washer and a lug nut and tighten the nut to push it in square. Put a thin smear of RTV around the outside dia of the new seal.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Well, what I thought was an oil leak, looks to be like black RTV. I can put my fingers up behind the balancer on the timing cover, and am getting some black residue on my fingers, which seems to be melting as the engine heats up, which is what I'm seeing down towards the bottom of the cover.

Not sure how that could be, but it's the only thing that I can think of? The cover is a steel Edelbrock cover that came with the seal already installed.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
Chad, Hopefully its the seal only as I have found some leaks come thru the balancer key way which is solved by adding rtv in the key way and balancer before installing.

Try to use a balancer installer rather than tapping it into place. You can damage the thrust surface on the rear main bearing. You don't need any more problems.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chad, Hopefully its the seal only as I have found some leaks come thru the balancer key way which is solved by adding rtv in the key way and balancer before installing.

Try to use a balancer installer rather than tapping it into place. You can damage the thrust surface on the rear main bearing. You don't need any more problems.
Hey Don. I used a balancer installer when I put it on. Definitely didn't want to be banging on that! Hopefully minor. I'll check it out over the weekend. Still not sure how the black RTV is getting around the seal though. I used plenty when installing the cover, but not around the seal itself.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Black RTV sealer once cured will not melt from the minimal heat in that area so I doubt what you are finding on your finger is that. Could it be assembly lube or grease that you are finding there?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Black RTV sealer once cured will not melt from the minimal heat in that area so I doubt what you are finding on your finger is that. Could it be assembly lube or grease that you are finding there?
I suppose it could be assembly lube, as that was what I put on the inside lip of the seal. Only thing there is that the assembly lube was a reddish color, and not black, as I used the Joe Gibbs variety.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts