Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to test fit of a cast alluminum timing cover without gasket and it rubbed the timing gear chain on the larger cam shaft gear area. The gasket will give it a bit more breathing room but that will be still very close!

I pressed the smaller crankgear in all the way and no difference.

I am using a double roller chain and gear set. Is there a deeper cover I should be using? The depth of the cover is so close when measuring I wonder what the clearance should be or what I am doing wrong?

Any help appreciated :clonk:

·
Super Moderator
32,768 Posts
True, there will be minimal room with gasket. You also have to figure into the equation, cam walk forward.

You could get by using a cam button, one with a roller bearing would be good. Then it might require a few gaskets to bump up the clearance.

Another factor to consider is the fitment of the water pump to t/cover, if you're using a short water pump.

The final factor in fit is the new installed height of the seal to harmonic balancer. The further out the seal, read thicker cover & gaskets, will the two interfere, the cover & h/bal?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
There's a lot of Chinese knockoff pieces hitting the market.
The way to decide if you have to build a thicker gasket is to measure stuff.
First thing I would do is take an OEM steel cover, lay a straightedge across it, and then measure down to the inside where your gear runs behind it.
Then measure the protrusion of the cam gear and chain from the gasket surface of the block. The difference plus the gasket thickness is how much clearance you have OEM.
Then do the same with your Aluminum cover.
If you don't have mikes you can get pretty stinkin close with drill bits.
One of the purposes of the aluminum cover is to withstand a cam button.
It should have a raised up boss deadcenter of the cam for the button to contact.
Later
Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts