Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a timing light with an adjustable dial. I have an old Craftsmen model I purchased back in the 60's and even though it still works I would like to upgrade. Anyone have a suggestion on a good brand?

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
I have a Snap-On MT2261. It's electronic and operational with one hand so you don't have to shoot with one hand and turn the dial with the other. Very nice tool I highly recomend one.

Joe

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've got a Sunpro that I've had for several years. I'm sure that it's not the most accurate one out there, but I've gotten good results with it. I gave about $ 75.00 for it 8 or 9 years ago.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I'm with Joe. Its a little pricy for the average tuner, but with its functions its more than worth the cost. Its nice to toggle between an RPM indication and actual timing...... without having to look inside the car for idle and advance RPM.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I have a Sears , normal and adjustable advance. I read somewhere about incompatibilities with some high energy multi-spark ignition systems and the advance dial timing lights. Don't remember specifics. Perhaps someone can add to this.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Mark thanks for the comment about my tool :D As for the cost of the timing light I paid $275.00 for it back in 1996. I have no idea what they cost now. The Snap-On dealer I used to buy from in San Diego took trade in's. I traded in my Mac light for this one. It had the knob on the rear. After the trade in I paid $225.00.

Joe

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
That model Snap-On Timing light retails in the $400 neighborhood. I think you can find them on eBay now and then in the $250 range used.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
My camaro and Chevelle both have MSD 6ALs. The Sears dial back I have is not even close to being accurate. On the Monte which has no MSD box the cheapie actron that reads correctly on the MSD euipped cars matches the readout of the dial back.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I purchased the Sears unit this weekend for $69. What I noticed was that in using the unit my initial timing marker indicated 10 degrees but when I adjusted the dial for a zero reading on the timing marker the dial read 15 degrees. My ignition is a GM HEI unit. Have others seen this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts