Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new harmonic balancer with many graduations instead of one timing mark. It is a Professional Products balancer. It has graduations from 0 to 60 or so. I am used to lining up just the traditional single mark on the balancer with the timing tab's degree dashes or numbers. How do I line up this new type of balncer with my timing tab? What numbers or dashes do I use on the balancer to match up to the timing tab? It is supposed to be 12 degrees initial but I am unsure how to do it. My car is running but the timing is wrong I am sure. Thanks, DeAngelo

·
Retired
26,950 Posts
Find TDC on the #1 cyl and verify where your timing pointer is on the balancer. It should be sitting on the zero end of the scale. If it is then when you set your timing to 12deg initial it will be 12 marks from zero. I've seen some with more than one scale on them for different pointer locations, that's another reason to start on #1 TDC...

·
Registered
340 Posts
You can remove the plug on #1 and shine a flashlight in the hole, while watching for the piston to come up. That, or use something like a coat hanger or something to "feel" when #1 is at TDC (turning the motor over by hand obviously). Once there, use some White-Out to mark which line on the balancer is 0*.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I will try that. I know that the timing just needs to be adjusted. The distributor has been twisted some. It was timed properly at one point. I just didn't know what mark was used. I figured I could just line the "0" on the balancer with the 12 on the engine tab to make it right. I did that and it still seems to run roughly. Thanks for all of the input and anymore. :) DeAngelo

·
Retired
26,950 Posts
I figured I could just line the "0" on the balancer with the 12 on the engine tab to make it right.
It should work that way too... Use the pointer and read the balancer marks or use zero on the balancer and read the marks on the timing tab/pointer. It's always good to verify #1 TDC to rule out problems like having the wrong timing chain cover and timing tab/pointer for your balancer.

I can think of lots of other tuning issues for running rough so if you double check your timing and it seems ok it's time to look else where...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Dennis. And I was told that the total advance was 36. They told me that they never checked the initial advance. Wherever it ended up was wherever it ended up since they were more concerned with total timing. That is weird to me. Initially when they built it, I was told 12 of initial timing. Now the story is different. I will do what everyone has suggested thus far. I really appreciate all of you guys' help. It really is INVALUABLE and APPRECIATED. And FREE! :) Thanks, D

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
just pretend all the marks on the stock pointer except for the "0" mark don't exist. whatever line is lined up with the "0" mark is where the timing is set at.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Derrik! Great advice. I appreciate it! I bet that Monte is FAST with that turbo!! And I like your quote. :) D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
you can also set the timing all in by rapping the car up to 3000 rpm and setting the 0 mark on the pointer with the 36 mark on the balancer...then let it come to idle and see where the initial is...

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Thanks, Derrik! Great advice. I appreciate it! I bet that Monte is FAST with that turbo!! And I like your quote. :) D
actually, the Monte is a slug, as it still has the stock 140hp 350 in it..
the turbo is on the 3.8 V6 in the 84 Regal T type..
click on the link if you want to see.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Deangelo66 don't forget that in 1969 Chevrolet changed the timing marks on the small block motor. Prior to 69 the keyway in the balancer aligned with the TDC mark on the balancer. After 68 it was 12 or 13 degrees off of the keyway slot. If you are using a 68 and older timing cover you need to have the correct balancer or it will indicate off by that amount. You can also use a bolt on timing tab, Chevrolet makes on part number 3991436 and there are many after market units as well.

If you find you have the wrong balancer just find TDC as the others suggest and set the pointer to coincide.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the Monte will never have a turbo- but it might have a pair of them on an LT1 someday..

·
Registered
601 Posts
when you bring #1 to top dead center never stick metal in hole. use a straw to feel when piston is top dead center it doesnt scrape the piston or cylinder. have someone turn motor have straw in cylinder and when it comes to top you be there or 180 out. when mark is on tab than mark it. never use a metal object will scrape wall than wear rings like you never beleive.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
But Bill.
He's trying to find TDC,,,,, EXACTLY. The straw method is a similar method to using a dial indicator. At TDC, such a method will not show movement of approximately 6 degrees crank rotation. And that's under the best of circumstances with a dial indicator.
His solution is to get on Summits web site and order a spark plug TDC finder. They don't come with instructions. You're suppose to know how to use them. Besides, the instructions are online.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thx, Fred! My biggest problem was that I just needed to know how to line up the marks on the balancer with the tab on the block. It didn't "jump" timing. Someone just moved the distributor a little and changed the timing. It just needs to be tuned up and I didn't know what marks to use and how. The balancer had so many graduations on it. Thanks again, D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.