Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering How I would set the timing on my blown chevy 355..Here is my question have a blown chevy 355..With no harmonic balancer and no timing marks...Just a two belt pulley and a 8mm blower drive pulley on the end of the crank...How do I set the timing???
Also shouldn't there be a balancer?? ..Any help would be appreciated..Thanks

------------------
Restored 76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed..# matching
-------------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman

[This message has been edited by Badcaiman (edited 10-22-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Yes, it should have a balancer - until you get that squared away, here's how to set the timing. Go to a parts store or speed shop and get a "piston stop" tool, and use it to find exact #1 TDC (instructions will come with it, or e-mail me or post again if they don't). Once you have exact #1 TDC located, mark the edge of the pulley closest to the engine with a white paint mark, and mark the point adjacent to it on the timing cover with another paint mark - that will give you correct #1 TDC markings you can work with. Then measure the circumference of the pulley you paint-marked, and divide by 8; that will give you a 45-degree arc on the edge of the pulley. Measure that amount down (clockwise, looking from the front) on the pulley from the TDC mark you made first, and paint-mark that point. You now have TDC and the distance to 45 degrees BTDC marked on the pulley, and you can measure that distance and break it down into finer divisions so you can set your timing.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 2 of 2 Posts