Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pro billet dist and was wondering if I read 15* at idle can the dist be wrong and it not really be at 15*. I ask this because as some of you know I'm trying to find a idle miss and Just checked my timing again and I'm at 15* inital and 45* total at 3000rpm?? When I set this up I set it up at 36* total. I guess the springs could strech or something I suppose. I'm trying to find out If my prob is the dist. The reason I ask is I did the pull one plug when it was running trick. When I do that they all sound the same! Could the whole dizzy be off and making it run weird? No matter how I turn it it still runs the same. I'm also using a dial back light. MSD says not to use one so who knows. I know I need to find another dizzy , but nobody I know has one. I'd love to eliminate all the ignition.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Which model do you have? (85551?)
Check your advance lock-out bushing is installed correctly.
Bad springs could not increase the amount of advance with the lock-out bushing correctly in place.

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/85551_frm22016.pdf (page 4)

·
Registered
72 Posts
MSD says not to use one so who knows.
There is a reason MSD says not to a use dial back light.

Years ago Super Stock magazine tested a bunch of timming lights at different RPMs, the dial back timming lights were all over the place. Find another timming light might be a good idea.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
About 20 years ago I had one of those Snap On dial lights cost us a full day bringing a V-16 Cat back up from overhaul. This was offshore in the Gulf of Mexico for Mobil.
It was the only stinkin light on the Platform. It was about 50 degrees off. The engine would get hot as hell. Finally I just grabbed the mag and kept spinning it til I liked how it sounded, and we were online with a happy engine. We flew 2 more lights out and I was within 2 degrees.

That light went swimming.:hurray:
I now call them 'out of timing' lights.
I try to teach new guys that the best tools you got are bolted on the side of your head if you don't ignore em.

Later
Tim

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
There is a reason MSD says not to a use dial back light.

Years ago Super Stock magazine tested a bunch of timming lights at different RPMs, the dial back timming lights were all over the place. Find another timming light might be a good idea.
Dial back timing lights are not all bad. I have a SunPro that has been great for many years. (SunPro are what MSD rebadge as their own.)

Also, check the 2nd "Note" on page 2 of MSD's own instruction manual for their E-Curve.
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/frm26290_8394_e_curve.pdf

Unless you have timing tape or a quality damper like a Fluidampr with plenty of marks on it, dial back lights are quite necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:sad: Forget about the whole post........ I'm loosing it... I've been trying so many things I'm starting to get confused!! I guess you should disconnect the vac when you check total and not keep it connected like I did:sad: . My inital IS 15* and total 36* at 3000rpm WITH VAC DISCONNECTED. Sorry. It kinda stinks because I was hoping something was wrong with is. Oh well:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts