Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a dirt track camaro and we can not get the timing to set. We set the motor at top dead center,put the distubtor in and it runs and sound great at about 45 degres advanced.We allways run at about 38 adv.We put in two dist. and it came up the same .You try and back it down and the motor realy starts to labor.

·
Super Moderator
33,480 Posts
I would probably set the tune-up using the vacuum gauge and tune for the highest reading and go with the setting(s), both carb and dist.

Cam characteristics, compression ratio, rdo length, as well as rod/stroke ratio, among other variables, will determine its tune-up.

These are my thoughts.......

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Joe is right, just as I was thinking. When I worked on Dirt Stock Cars we took a hacksaw blade and marked the dampers to see when they turned. If possible use an advace timing light after you find "0".

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air (not yet installed)
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I recently read an article that said if your timing is too far advanced, you'll see scouring of the electrode tip a millimeter or so down from the gap.

-dnult

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.