Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about finding a way to tint my front parking lamps (turn signals in the grill). Would prefer they not be so white. Thinking about black plasti-dip for the trim rings and looking for a solution for the plastic lens. Any ideas or experience with this?

My car is a resto-mod so not being original doesn't really bother me. Plus it would be easy to go back with replacement parts.

Thanks for your help.
Troy

·
Registered
913 Posts
What color are you thinking about tinting them?
Keep in mind some states have colors that our illegal to run.
I have blue LED's on my bike and got stopped in NC because only law enforcement can run blue lights on ANY vehicle.

But to answer your question, easiest is colored bulb, but if ya want the actual plastic tinted, there are many plastic dyes that should do the trick, the longer you let the dye seap in the darket the tint, just google plastic dye and you should get a few hits and then can order online or look locally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinking about a smoked look. Something transparent but darker. Not too dark, but just enough to dull the white.

Thanks for the tip. I will check out the plastic dyes.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If ya don't have any luck finding a dye, I do know they make airbrushing paint in transparent colors, including black, I have some and it's made by Auto Air and there are a few other companies that make it as well, it work pretty good on plastics as I have used on helmets and motorcycles. But I always add clear coat layer.
Not sure how long it would hold up over time without clearing,but gves ya another option to look at.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Take a look in the hobby shop for glass tints, just make sure it is not acid based for etching glass. Stained glass paint might also work if they have the color you are looking for. Also just think about changing the color bulb - LED bulbs come in many colors, the lens will still look stock but the light will not.

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
Locally we have a place called Tap Plastic, www.tapplastics.com where you can get sheets of plastic in various thickness and degrees of opacity from very clear to solid color. If you can find a store like this in your area it would be real easy to make your own lenses. They are a complete plastic's machine shop as well so if you don't have the tools they can help you make them. Obviously they can't do molded pieces like the '69 running lights but I bet you can fabricate something to fit into the '68 bezels.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
just scuff the lens with a scotchbrite pad and tint your clearcoat with black basecoat. thats how i do the "smoked taillights" may want to do i couple spray-outs to make sure you have the right mixture and tint. any bodyshop will be able to do this for you.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
They make all kinds of lens tint spray in several colors. You can get Rustoleum or VHT lens tint spray at Autozone or Wal-Mart. No need for a paintshop or custom fabricated plastic lens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts