Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install new carpet in my 68 camaro. I did this about 6 years ago on my chevelle and it was a pain to get all the seat bolts, seat-belt bolts, etc. screwed back in, even though I punched holes in the carpet with a phillips head screwdriver where the bolts were supposed to go. Is there an easier way to do this? If so, please let me in on the secret. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
321 Posts
First thing I do is let the carpet get warmed outside in the sun. I then put in the seat belt bolts and seat bolts. Place the carpet in with 3m adhesive and a heat gun to smooth. Using and xacto knife, I will slit at the head of the bolts. Works every time for me, no guessing.

------------------
68 SS 396

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am also getting ready to lay new carpet in my 68, is this 3M adhesive in spray form or??? I took the carpet out of the box and am letting it sit as recommened and i went to lay it in the car but it doesnt seem to want to lay flat. Do you have time to adjust the carpet with this adhesive? also on the underlayment, which side goes up on the small square sections? thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
What I do is conform everything first by trimming etc, then I will pull it out and spray the adhesive on the floor. As I roll the carpet in I will spray under the carpet itself. It takes time but worth it.

------------------
68 SS 396

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Take a pair of good scissors (not your wife’s best pair) and cut the ends off with a cut off wheel. You’re basically making a pair of nubby scissors. You want to have about 2" of blade left before the pivot point. This will increase your leverage dramatically and make cutting and trimming the carpet a breeze. I always use a large needle to find the bolt holes then use the scissors to cut the holes.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guy's. I'm sure that laying it out in the sun could only help with getting it to fit a little better. Thanks again. Everyone have a good week!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I did mine recently. Best tip I got was to put the seat/seat belt bolts in, feel for them, and then cut and X with an knife. Worked great!!

Be careful when trimming for the kick panels as you want to make sure you don't trim to much.

Mark M.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I did the carpet, I made up studs to hold down the seats from a length of threaded rod. The studs stick up through the carpet. Then use nuts and washers. Now it's no problem positioning the seat. Of course, this will not help with the seat belts.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference Section

·
Registered
407 Posts
Another vote for putting in the bolts to the seats, seat belts and console if you have one. Be really careful trimming. I recommend installing the carpet and gluing it and then make any trimming you need around the edges. I thought I had way too much carpet in certain places and it turned out, I needed to trim just a tiny amount. On the front piece, start by installing the carpet over the dimmer switch and make everything fit from there. Lastly, I had a heck of a time getting the bolts in place on the front of both seats because the front and rear carpets overlay making double thickness. I finally dug out some bolts that had a stud a little longer than the original and got them to reach. It might save you some headaches.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Seems like I read somewhere that the carpet was cut from bolt to bolt, the track bolted down, and the carpet tucked under the track. That way, the carpet could be installed after the front seats. Can anyone confirm?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts