Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on installing the door window felts? Should I install the inner felt before the outer or vice versa? Should I tape the top edge of the door to protect the paint or will the tape get trapped after the felts are installed? It seems like once these are installed, they can't be removed without ruining them, so any advice is appreciated! Oh yeah, this is on a '67.

[This message has been edited by denverRS/SS (edited 05-18-2001).]

·
Registered
115 Posts
The window felt install very easily. At least they did on my '67 when I did them a year ago after thepaint job.

Just hold up a felt, and make sure all the tabs line up with the holes in the door, and then press them in. Mine grabbed right away and have been solid since.

I found it's best to have the window as low as it can go so you're not fighting that.

If you go slow, you shouldn't have a problem with the outer chrome lip damaging your paint although it does sit on top of the paint.

Cheers
David

·
Registered
156 Posts
Be sure you look down the length of the molding on the felts. If there are any curves or gradual bends in the chrome, they will show up as gaps when placed on the car. VERY gradual pressure at multiple points can correct this. Before install, make sure the retaining clips are pushed back against the piece. If they are sprung out, they will not hold the visible trim against the metal of the door.

A note for future reference--you can remove the felts relatively easily by reaching up inside the door and pushing the molding clips away from the metal. After all are sprung out, you can use a hand on the outside pulling up on the molding while the inside hand can be used to push the retaining clip out from the inside.

Have fun,
Lance

1 - 3 of 3 Posts