Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my front tires due to inside edge wear (camber / toe problem now fixed)

I'm also noticing that my right rear is down to less than 1/8" of tread. It'll give me another season, but probably not 2 more.

If I do the fronts and wait on the backs, I'll be locked into these tires for the foreseeable future.

I'm running Goodyear F1 GSD3's. They are great tires, but are very expensive. Are there better tires? Are there better tires that are cheaper? I've shopped for Nitto 555's and 555r's, but they don't list them in my sizes.

Fronts = 225-50-16
Rears = 255-45-17

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
You have 16 in front and 17 out back, is that right? You still have those steel Cragars on there? Perhaps move to 225/55/16 (or maybe a 245/50R16), get a little more height (almost an inch, and much closer to the height of the rear).

It looks like you can get all 3 sizes in the BFG KDW/KDWS lines, Firestone Wideoval and more.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

That site gives you the ability to list models available by brand, though not all brands are listed.

Or get new wheels, all 17s, and do the 255/45/17 all around. :)

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
I've been happy with the BFG KDWS on the '69. I like the way the tread looks on the KDW better.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hey Jim ditto :thumbsup: on the BFG KDWS's.

Size . . . . . MSPN . Rim . . Section . Dia . Rev/mile
225/50ZR16 62858 . 6 - 8 9.2 on 7 . 24.9 . 836
225/55ZR16 70083 . 6 - 8 9.2 on 7 . 25.8 . 808

PS-Jim discounttiredirect.com was the best price I found anywhere other than there stores, but then I had to drive to pick them up and pay tax. Online I the shipping was fast and free to my door and I don't recall paying sales tax.:hurray:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I second, or is that third the BFG. KDW and KDWS
Although I've used tirerack in the past, I'm currently a fan of Discount Tire Direct (not Discount Tire). http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do
It's hard to beat no tax and free shipping. Looks like they have a $40 discount on some of the BFGs right now.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I run the KDWS on my daily driver ('00 Stang GT vert) and love them--great dry performance, and incredible wet performance. I'm planning to run KD's (not KDW or KDWS) on my '68 when I finally get around putting new wheels on my '68 vert. Not going to be doing and driving in the rain in the '68 :)

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the suggestions guys, all good stuff. Been checking the links and reading about various tires.

And the BGF KDW & KDWS are the only ones that come close to equaling the F1's. And they cost just as much.

So, lets try another question. Would anyone here put a 275 40 on a 17 x 8 inch rim?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
thanks for the suggestions guys, all good stuff. Been checking the links and reading about various tires.

And the BGF KDW & KDWS are the only ones that come close to equaling the F1's. And they cost just as much.

So, lets try another question. Would anyone here put a 275 40 on a 17 x 8 inch rim?
Have you seen my car Jim???

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Ok obviously not so I'll show you again.

To bad the weather wasn't nicer it would make a good excus for a raod trip, and a chance to snag you camber jig.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyone else comment on 275-40-17 on a 17x8?

What about mixing a drag radial rear with a "regular" front, say for example a nitto 555 in front and 555r in back?
Would the handling be kinda wierd?

hmmm... now that I look closer, you're doing exactly that, Harley... and you like to think of your car as kinda PT, too... will she turn? and do you run those ET Streets all the time? You did trailer to Byron last fall.
And don't rub it in, I recall that I trailered HOME!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I only trailer to because of what happened to you. Last year I was stuck at GLD twice, and both times for minor issues, and had to wait more than 3 hrs each time for a tow.:sad: I don't really consider my car PT more of just a fun street car.:D As for handling I'd still like to try tweaking the front camber a little more, but all in all it corners very flat. It does push a bit with a slight understear, but as you know I'm running DR's and traction bars. Neither of which are great for cornering, but she'll hold her own on tight curves to @ 60mph. Which is allot more than the 40mph that my wife's Trail Blazer will run on those same turns.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
anyone else comment on 275-40-17 on a 17x8?

What about mixing a drag radial rear with a "regular" front, say for example a nitto 555 in front and 555r in back? Would the handling be kinda wierd?
I think you will find that most manufactuers recommend 9.0"-11.0" for a 275/40R17. I think they say that for a reason, no matter what people do.

I would not buy DR for everyday for the rear if you plan on driving a lot. Compounding & tire construction is different.

You buying new wheels, sunshine? :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts