Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, stupid question. Do you get more top end running bigger tires or smaller ones? I know tire diameter and rear end gearing come into play, but the reason I'm asking is I because currently I am running 14" tires with a Turbo 350 and an unknown rear gear in my 67.(Ford 8 inch) The tack in the car is broke and the speedo faster than it should be, and when I'm on the Interstate the motor screams. Signs that the rear is geared low.

I want to run bigger tires and rims and not change the rear, unless I find it's like 4.11 or lower (which I doubt) Right now the car is completely apart, so new rims and tires are off in the future. Will bigger tires make me lose more top end?

------------------

Racer#00

Plain Jane 67
76 Trans Am Stock Car
74 Z28 (Basket case)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The taller your tire is in diameter, the more top speed you can get and the lower the effective rear end ratio is. With 4.11 gears at 6000 rpm you are running 113mph with a 26'' diameter tire. With a 27'' diameter tire 6000 rpm will take you to around 118mph. Not a big diff.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Cool math there.

I know I mentioned it before, but you can buy these little cardboard sliders that are sorta like the things you use to monitor gas milage, but instead they calculate stuff for the car. You input the tire size, final gear ratio, rmp etc by moving the slider accordingly, and it will determine your top speed, estimated 1/4 mile and so on. They are cheap, and you should be able to grab one at the local speed shop.

------------------
Brave man not milk bull... only stupid man

1 - 5 of 5 Posts