Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new interior kit from tmi...I bought the houndstooth(black and white) for my 69, got the bolstered seat foam as well. The bolster is about 3.5" to 4" high, should look sweet...I am getting them installed tomorrow morning!! Look original, but not so much!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
Re: tmi bolstered seats

hey rex,

would really like to some pics when you're done. we have a pair of '69 seats for the 68 and are contemplating tmi.

thanks!

·
Registered
499 Posts

I just got my new interior kit from tmi...I bought the houndstooth(black and white) for my 69, got the bolstered seat foam as well. The bolster is about 3.5" to 4" high, should look sweet...I am getting them installed tomorrow morning!! Look original, but not so much!
Pix please, and any comments about the bolstered foam as I am looking at the bolstered seat for my 68.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

here is the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

they are very comfy, love them. They sit a little high but I am sawed of anyway....I called TMI and they refered my to a dealer...

·
Registered
8,303 Posts

Do you think they sit high because you're used to sitting on 40 year old, broken down foam, or are the new buns a little thicker overall?

The reason I ask is because I like the idea of using these, but am worried about how I might fit in them. I am not huge, 6'-1" and right at 200lb, but when I tried to use 4th gen Trans Am seats in my 69, I found that the inch or so higher they sat put my thighs close to the wheel (non-tilt, GM cushion rim wheel) and overall they felt too tall.

If it is not too much of a pain, could you post a measurement at the front of the seat, either from the floor or the brace the seat mounts to, to the top of the cushion front??

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Do you think they sit high because you're used to sitting on 40 year old, broken down foam, or are the new buns a little thicker overall?

My seats were redone in 2003, so no, they were not broken down, the buns are thicker...it is 9" from floor to top of seat cushion....

·
Registered
218 Posts

The seats look great. I am also interested in a set and would like to know if you have the leather or vinyl? Also do they hug you like newer seats with bolstering? How is the quality and did you install them yourself?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

Rex those look great! First gens leave alot to be desired in comfort compared to my 99 T/A seats. I am planning on T/A seats in my Z and my T/A clone original seats will be kept so at some point I would like to go back. I have fresh redone seats in my Z -bought a new bottom and now it looks higher and shorter than the passengers by about an inch both ways so to me it looks like its a different seat so I figure why go with some comfort? can you give a link to this company and care to give approximate costs?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

726 shipped

·
Registered
3 Posts

i am new to this site and am thinking of joining and im also interested in these seats but ;;
* edit by moderator*
no need for that conduct. You can ask specific questions yourself. If you dont like how he answered somebody else, leave that between them. I see no issues with his thread at all.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The seats look great. I am also interested in a set and would like to know if you have the leather or vinyl? Also do they hug you like newer seats with bolstering? How is the quality and did you install them yourself?
I paid someone to do it, he charged me 300. He said they were a pain to get the covers over the new foam, the bolster is nice..I am 5'9" and weigh 165, so the bolster is not that tight, but way better then before. It is kinda hard to get used to the height of the seat after sitting at the same level for the 20 years I have had this car. The interior guy said the foam was high qaulity, they had the metal rods in them(foam). He said you usually have to to that yourself.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

i am new to this site and am thinking of joining and im also interested in these seats but I dont like the way TREX has snubbed some of the questions on his seats. is it short man syndrome or is his head too far up his a**?????
Sorry if you did not like my answers. So your thinking of joining the site, huh? It is not that hard of a decision.You have made three post since your first post in january 2009? I will answer your questions though. Is my head up my ***, sometimes yes it is. Do I suffer from short mans sydrome? No, not at all. I guess I am a little confused by this question.....by reading my answers, how would one come to that conclusion? If in your three post in the last year you make a personal attack on someone you do not know, this site probably would be better if you did not "commit" to being productive member. By the way, your momma wears combat boots.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts

Nothin' like a woman in combat boots, I always say ;)

Somethings you just can't make up. He should go waste someone else's time.

Jim

·
Registered
8,303 Posts

Hey Rex, if you see this I just had a quick follow up question.

Do you know if your seat frames had springs in the seat backs or not? I think it was later in the 69 model year when they started putting the springs in the seat foam, and stopped having the springs on the seat back frame itself.

My car is a 10D 68 build, so if my seats are original, I should have seat back springs. I saw that you said the TMI sport foams have metal rods in them already, and want to make sure they will work with seats with seat back springs.

I guess they must, because I think they only offer one set of seat foams to fit 67-69, and all 67-68 seats have the separate springs. I just have been unable to get any good info directly from TMI Products (emailed with no response, and the phone answer person was not technically knowledgeable), so I am just trying to find out as much as I can before I order. I posted in another post that NPD is now carrying the TMI Products stuff, so that is where I will order mine from if I decide to use this type of seat.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know the correct answer here, but I would assume that they would be fine..sorry I could not be of more help.

Rex

·
Vendor
41 Posts
Hey guys, Classic Industries is now a TMI dealer and their full line for Camaro is available on our site, http://www.classicindustries.com or available for order in our showroom. Unfortunately the pictures of the product are not yet loaded, however everything is available for purchase.

I've put together a jpeg image of the TMI upholstered seats from an early pre-production version of our catalog. I apologize that one side's still missing pictures, but they'll be in soon. In the meantime, though, this should help you out quite a bit with finding your application, pricing and availability.

If you have any questions, we'll be more than happy to answer them. We've seen a lot of seat foam in our day, believe you me, and the quality of the foam in the TMI kits really stood out to us.

We're particularly fond of the fact that these allow you to maintain a like-factory appearance and offer a better ride and far better support in corners than the original seats, and since many cars are still in need of new upholstery, these are a great option.

Thanks guys!
Classic Industries

·
Registered
499 Posts
Good news, :hurray:
I sent an email to you guys last year about the TMI seats etc.
I hope you can get some images/info up on your web site

1 - 20 of 21 Posts