Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 327 is at the machine shop being degreased and magged. I got a call from them today indicating that everything was good except the cylinders. When I was disassembling it I noticed the typical ridge at the top of the cylinders. The pistons came out very easy. The shop tells me there is a 0.007" ridge. They also tell me that that is on the borderline.

Should I have the cylinders bored 30 over? It will cost me about $350 (including new pistons). I know its cleaner, but at what point should it be done, versus leaving the ridge? I appreciate any input, especially if you have numbers.

Thanks

·
Banned
938 Posts
ghack said:
My 327 is at the machine shop being degreased and magged. I got a call from them today indicating that everything was good except the cylinders. When I was disassembling it I noticed the typical ridge at the top of the cylinders. The pistons came out very easy. The shop tells me there is a 0.007" ridge. They also tell me that that is on the borderline.

Should I have the cylinders bored 30 over? It will cost me about $350 (including new pistons). I know its cleaner, but at what point should it be done, versus leaving the ridge? I appreciate any input, especially if you have numbers.

Thanks
If you want the engine to run good when its done have it bored and PLATE HONED then your sure to have good ring seal and good performance.

And on those old blocks I would urge you to get the block squared and decked if the are boring off the decks as we have probed those older blocks out and found them off quite a bit and there not very flat either.

And using new rings on the old pistons or even new ones with that kind of taper it causes a lot of premature ring land wear or it the new ring hit the ridge they will break if the taper is not removed correctly.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
The bore is the best way to go. If your trying to save a buck? Ring and berring it will work for a while. Bet your only prolonging another rebuild sooner!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts