Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt compelled to write about this,as i am getting so sick of seeing all of the bogus car ads for camaros,either the people writing these ads really think they have what they do or they are simply trying to lure some unsuspecting sucker into buying there car,does anyone have any integrity left or not? heres just an example ive made up however ive seen this type of ad many times before. ( 68 RS/SS 350 4spd car 12 bolt,car is a real RS/SS but has a 327 out of a chevelle and a 10bolt rearend, well lets see then the original 350 and 12 bolt is pretty much what made this an SS car,so really all you have here is a 68 camaro. and anyone whos been in to camaros very long knows that theres really no way to identify a 68 with out having the original motor,etc... unless you have the original paperwork. and still who cares. another example (69 z28 camaro, real 69 x33 z28, new 454 with turbo 400? whats this all about? its not a z28 anymore and personaly i could care less what the cowl tag says,it holds no value anymore its now a 69 camaro with a big block and an automatic. there are 3 types of cars as far as im concerned,(the original car, meaning everything the car left the factory with is still on the car) (the correct car, meaning you are using parts from another car of the same year make and model) and the replica car which is a completly made up car to look like the real thing. I think people feel compelled to use the symbols RS,SS Z28 etc...in a plight to sell there car for more money then its worth and to be honest with you i really dont think it works that much. so all im saying here is if your going to write up an ad just be honest and represent the car for what it truly is, because if its a nicely done replica car, the guy buying it might give you what ever you want for the car anyway, just because he likes the car. I am not pointing fingers at anybody on this site or else where, Im simply stating my personal opinions on this matter, thanks for reading this and a forum where we can do this, regards tom

·
Senior Tech, In Memoriam
498 Posts
Several weeks ago, someone advertised a 69 Yenko on ebay. They claimed it was an original and had a "Buy it now" price of $14,000 and they were supposedly located in Indiana. I email them and said I was going to buy it and was going to drive over to get it since I live in Ohio. The ad disappeared and they didn't answer my email. I guess someone beat me to it. I agree, I get hot when I see people thinking the "Camaro" public is dumb enough to believe these ads.

TZ

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Yeah, it can get frustrating trying to read through ads only to find out it's full of BS. Everybody likes to misrepresent their car in hopes of getting that higher price. Everybody thinks an X11 Camaro was an SS at one time.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I think that a lot of the owners are just clueless. We have this great resource for information about Camaros, but not everyone has found this site so they truly don't know much about the cars. I think it is amusing to see the Z/28 cars with the automatic transmissions or the SS327 cars. Some of the owners really don't know that their cars were never actually produced.

Scott.

·
Registered
284 Posts
A neighbor showed me a picture of a numbers-matching 69 Z/28...with a 396. He's getting the car from his parents who have owned it since new. Someone obviously not right. When he brings the car by, I'll get the trim tag and other info.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I will play devils advocate, however, I agree with most of what you are saying. As the original documented vehicles become more scarce and their price continues to climb, many less "documented" or "original" cars may begin to be a more realistic approach to enjoying the camaro hobby. The problem is of course the cons who take advantage of these high prices by forging documentation. This is not a new dilema although it has become a much more profitable one. These cars have found their way into all levels of the hobby, not just with the uneducated newbie's. And if you fella's think you can spot a well done clone on the show field you have my utmost respect. Is a 68 SS without its drivetrain still an SS? I would hope we will begin to put more emphasis on the detail of the restoration rather than a vin stamp and just maybe the motive for altering a vehicles identity will become less lucrative and the respect for a job well done more gratifying.
Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts