Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I have always hd some kind of alignment/steering problems, but get to the shop and they find nothing loose.
The other day I went to the bank and had to come back home because the toe was set out 3/4" out of nowhere. I then set toe to ZERO. few days go by just fine. Then today this happened....
I just went to the store and turned a left hand corner after a four way stop with a dip in the road, and then all the sudden my steering wheel was at a 90 degree turn to go straight down the road. Then the tires started to squeel -because of toe in. Got home and tugged and kicked the tires real hard but cant make it go back to where it was. the toe is now in about 3/4" or more. What can cause this? lower ball joints?

I jacked the front up and pulled and jerked the tires hard as I could but nothing moved. Anyone see this before??

Any ideas, please help

·
Registered
416 Posts
This is being caused because the tie rods are being bent. When the alignment was done the clamps for the tie rod adjuster sleeves were not correctly positioned.

If these clamps are not correctly positioned they will hit the frame during the exact maneuvers you mention and bend the tie rod(s). Being the 1st gens are rear steer they then toe out.

This is the #1 reason I use tubular adjuster sleeves. Not too many front end guys really know this either. Yes, I've had the same thing happen to me.

Bob.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I had a problem with my subframe. At some point in the car's lifetime, someone hit a sustantial object that basically ripped the holes out on the frame for the lower A-arm. You could see where the body shop heated up the frame, bent it back into place and installed fender washers around the mounting bolts. A good hard turn would cause the bolts to slip totally whacking the alignment. I ended up replacing the subframe.

-dnult

1 - 5 of 5 Posts