Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this 1967 Camaro locally. I was picking up my boys from school and I took an alternate route home and I drove past a small mechanic's shop and I saw this Camaro sitting in the back behind a fence. It looked like a drag race car from what I could tell. I came back a day or two later to check it out and was pleased to see that it had not been cut up or back halved or anything like that. The bad news was that nearly the entire interior was gone and the floor and trunk was rotted out. It had 2 flat tires and the engine didn't run due to wiring issues. I negotiated a price of $4500 and he delivered it to my house for free.
Here is what it looked like that day:

It looked pretty solid but looks can be deceiving..It has lots of body filler hiding rust.

As I did my research on the car I found out that this was one of the first 1000 Camaros ever to be made. It is car number 747 and Fisher body number 379! It has a production date of August 1966. It was a white 6 cylinder car with a 3 speed on the column. It had 5 layers of paint and tons of bondo. Someone had beat the hell out of the wheel wells to cram in bigger tires and racing slicks.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now it has a beefy 350 engine and an automatic THM 350 transmission. It had a 12 bolt rear end with a mini spool in it with 5:56 gears. I sold off the rear end, the racing wheels and slicks, the fuel pump and cell, the fiberglass cowl hood, the rusty fenders, and the racing shifter and re couped half of the money I had spent on the car.
The battery cable had melted against the headers and the front harness and engine harness was a mess of splices, loose ends and rusty old connections. I replaced the engine harness and rewired the front harness for a new alternator and HEI ignition. I located a used wiper motor and installed it. The wiper transmission was frozen solid with rust. After a bath in WD-40 I clamped it in my vice and worked it back and forth until it came back to life.
I located an original hood in excellent condition locally and put some rally wheel on her...

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Nice find! Should be an enjoyable project!

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trunk was a mess of racing equipment and rust...
I replaced the trunk pan..

Next I tackled the floor pans..

Started cutting out rust and the tunnel section that had been so hacked up..
I located an original floor shifter from eBay and installed in in a spare tunnel piece I had..
I welded this in place in the floor pan.
The dash was a giant mess of make shift wiring and cheap gauges with ragged holes cut into the dash..
I sanded down the dash and smoothed the ragged holes as best I can..

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put a block off plate on the giant cut out radio and heater area..and painted the dash and glove box.
I replaced the missing inner front fenders and battery tray the poorly fiting radiator and fan with shroud and replaced the rusty and bondo filled fenders..
While the fenders were off, I put front discs on the front with a new master cylinder and all new lines front and rear.
I replaced the 12 bolt rear with a 10 bolt rear from my 68, and rebuilt the drum rear brakes.
I found a complete set of seats and reupholstered them in my living room..

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cut out a soft and rusty piece of the dash top where the glass meets the metal..

and welded in a new piece..

Currently I am tackling the rust around the front and rear windshield..

I replaced the doors today.
After I finish this, I will replace the quarter skins and patch the tail pan.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I started clearing off the bond around the quarters to see what I need to replace...This was someone's idea of body work around the wheel well..
Note the 7 layers of paint and primer hiding under there. You can see the original white paint.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great work! It is neat to see you turn this car around and make it right again.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I started working on the quarters and spent hours sanding off the bondo which was over an inch and a half thick in some places..
I cut out the rusty parts of the quarter near the wheel well. I have 80% quarters to work with with jamb. (Homer Simpson voice...MMMM Jammm...)

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As I kept sanding and removing body filler I found more holes in the rear portion of the quarter. I'll be replacing the taipan but unfortunately my 80% quarters does not contain these parts. I may have to fabricate these difficult areas. Anyone have these areas on a scrap quarter panel they can send me?:eek:

1 - 20 of 168 Posts