Team Camaro Tech banner

41 - 60 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Took her out around the block today...Her first drive in years...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Wiping the quarters...

I'm thinking that I may need to apply the filler across a larger area...?

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
That is not the correct way to apply filler. You should pull it lengthwise and spread it smoothly beyond the repair area with long strokes. Don't apply it vertically. Shortstrand should be used first, followed by an easy to sand filler like Rage Ultra, $38 per gallon, sands very easily.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Tony great work car is looking good......90 days something to be proud of......

Some times help from fellow members in text does not read as it was intended.......

X2 on Scott's suggestions for the filler and its application......one of the best ways to look at your filler work is to use a 4ft florescence light when in primer during the wet sanding.......bends in the reflection means there is still some work to do......and will show in the final paint work......we all can get a little snow blind and miss small waves and such.......

keep up the good work.....and the pics coming.....

8Ball

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
That is not the correct way to apply filler. You should pull it lengthwise and spread it smoothly beyond the repair area with long strokes. Don't apply it vertically. Shortstrand should be used first, followed by an easy to sand filler like Rage Ultra, $38 per gallon, sands very easily.
Awesome! Thanks..

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Tony great work car is looking good......90 days something to be proud of......

Some times help from fellow members in text does not read as it was intended.......

X2 on Scott's suggestions for the filler and its application......one of the best ways to look at your filler work is to use a 4ft florescence light when in primer during the wet sanding.......bends in the reflection means there is still some work to do......and will show in the final paint work......we all can get a little snow blind and miss small waves and such.......

keep up the good work.....and the pics coming.....

8Ball
Thanks Matt!

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Had warp in roof to repair
I removed the old patch and the warp went away. I annealed the new patch, gave it a slight curve and then tacked it in using planishing techniques given by forum members. I followed body filler advice by Scott and other forum members to finish quarters and roof...
I'm finishing up the filler around the windshield today and tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Took her out around the block today...Her first drive in years... :thumbsup:

I am jealous. Maybe someday my car will roll under its own power.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Took her out around the block today...Her first drive in years... :thumbsup:

I am jealous. Maybe someday my car will roll under its own power.
I'm holding you to that Patrick!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Love the work m8, looking really good! I'm curious to know why you filled between the rear quarter and sill? Is it meant to be like that as I think mine had some sort of seam sealer there. Not complaining though as I quite like the look and would be tempted to do it on mine! I would worry about it flexing and cracking though?

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Love the work m8, looking really good! I'm curious to know why you filled between the rear quarter and sill? Is it meant to be like that as I think mine had some sort of seam sealer there. Not complaining though as I quite like the look and would be tempted to do it on mine! I would worry about it flexing and cracking though?
I thought it would look better this way. Hopefully the area should not see much movement...

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
I thought it would look better this way. Hopefully the area should not see much movement...
Unless it was fully welded and reinforced, it will crack. Not to mention water enters from the backside. The lower radius you introduced may not work with the door's 90° corner and might be a clearance issue. It will also look odd being mismatched. Any vertex is prone to cracking, look at any failure in a car's sheetmental or aircraft design.

I lost track of how many cars I've had to repair where people slathered filler over seams.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Unless it was fully welded and reinforced, it will crack. Not to mention water enters from the backside. The lower radius you introduced may not work with the door's 90° corner and might be a clearance issue. It will also look odd being mismatched. Any vertex is prone to cracking, look at any failure in a car's sheetmental or aircraft design.

I lost track of how many cars I've had to repair where people slathered filler over seams.
Hope fully it won't crack...I used filler over short strand...

41 - 60 of 168 Posts