Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after searching for years for an affordable 69 convertible project, I found one..
It was a 6cyl convertible which makes it pretty rare; only 1507 6cyl convertibles were made back in 1969, which seems strange due to the extended year model production.
Anyway, the original motor and trans is long gone. The original color is hugger orange which I love! I plan to do a full frame off restoration and drop in an LS1 engine. She came disassembled and up on a rotisserie. I have tons of boxes of parts..

According to paperwork in the glove box, somebody named Steve from Panama City Florida bought the car in 1989 and replaced the front fenders, pulled out the original 6 cyl, patched the quarters, and painted the car yellow...About 10 years ago someone parked it and took it apart for a resto and got as far as stripping the car, and cutting out the left and right floor pans. I will do a full convertible floor pan, firewall, full quarters, new doors, new trunk pan, and use the GM front fenders it came with.
I have all the parts including full interior and factory disc brakes! Unfortunately the front cocktail shakers are missing...I have the rears.
I will make a daily cruiser out of it with an auto overdrive trans and the LS1 engine.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Tony, You are doing God's work. I always admire projects that start off like this! Good luck sir.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm getting confused with all the camaros your building Tony!..lol That 69 looks like a keeper for sure.
I know!
The hard part is keeping track of parts for three cars!

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tony, You are doing God's work. I always admire projects that start off like this! Good luck sir.
Thanks Mark, it may take awhile but I'll finish it one day..

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will build the body cart this weekend, or at least get started so I can remove it from the rotisserie..

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are more pics of the car body...
The black spots are where I sprayed rust converter..
I bought the steel to make the body cart using the plans from this forum...

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
You new car looks a lot better than what I started with. Initially I was worried when you did not post photos of the parts taken off of the car. It is good the extra accessories were not lost. They can add up in price in a hurry. Does your new car have three doors like the last one?:D I only see two.

I got a good laugh when I read your post if you should by a Firebird Convertible. You asked on a Camaro website if you should buy a Firebird. Duh.. Maybe you wanted to be talked out of buying the Pontiac. I glad you got what you really wanted. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You new car looks a lot better than what I started with. Initially I was worried when you did not post photos of the parts taken off of the car. It is good the extra accessories were not lost. They can add up in price in a hurry. Does your new car have three doors like the last one?:D I only see two.

I got a good laugh when I read your post if you should by a Firebird Convertible. You asked on a Camaro website if you should buy a Firebird. Duh.. Maybe you wanted to be talked out of buying the Pontiac. I glad you got what you really wanted. :thumbsup:
Basically it is a complete car minus the engine, trans, and driveshaft. Its not too bad..after looking at all the font end sheet metal which has no trace of hugger orange under the yellow (or any other color for that matter) I have concluded that when the car was "restored" during the late 80's someone replaced all the front end sheet metal with GM metal for whatever reason (crash or rust). So I have good fenders, inner fenders, valence and header panel...
I only have 2 doors but they are pretty rusty and will need replacing. The quarters were also done (80%) but were put on without repairing the rusty wheel well lip. The outer wheel well edge was cut away but not replaced. The quarters are now rusty and will need replacing with full quarters.
Yes I'm glad I didn't get the Firebird so I could get me dream car!

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another cool start Tony. When you walk outside in the morning and look at 3 Camaro projects, how do you decide which one to work on? :D Good problem to have. :thumbsup:
Its a little overwhelming to be sure!
I'm trying to concentrate on finishing up the 67 coupe for the sake of workspace and $$. I will have to sell it in order to finish the others...

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Building the body cart..

I'm not sure how make those vertical pieces with the pins coming out the top...I have the vertical tubes cut already...
Anyone does this before?

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tony

Weld a nut on the back of the plate that you are going to use as a cap for the vertical tube. Drill a hole in the center of it first. Then thread in a bolt that has a long unthreaded shank and cut off the bolt head. voilà! Pin.
Perfect! Thanks Matt!

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tony

Weld a nut on the back of the plate that you are going to use as a cap for the vertical tube. Drill a hole in the center of it first. Then thread in a bolt that has a long unthreaded shank and cut off the bolt head. voilà! Pin.
Do you know what size bolt?

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One of my bargaining chips whe I paid for the car was that the front cocktail shakers were missing. I found a pricey set on ebay. They arrived today and are in fantastic condition.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So here are my plans for the car...
Factory color which is hugger orange with factory black top. I will add RS equipment and black stripes..

1 - 20 of 110 Posts