Team Camaro Tech banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
It does not look that bad. Are you going to replace the inner wheelhouses? They seem to look ok. A lot of the rear part of the car is welded to the inner wheelhouses. Things could start moving if they are cut out and the remaining parts are not braced.

The frame rails look rusty on the outside. How deep is the rust?

Take measurements of the convertible trunk gutter brace. Measure from the brace to the trunk pan where the cocktail shakers bolt onto. This brace could move when you cut the outer wheelhouse out.

I likes the garage a whole lot!
What Patrick said. It really doesn't look as bad as I was afraid it might. After the '68, this will be a walk in the park for you!

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I think I'm going to leave the wheelhouses in place and just butt weld an outer lip on there. I did this with the 68. The inner quarter braces are rotten on top. I may try to leave them in place on the wheel well and just splice the top part in...It looks like just surface rust on the rear frame rails. I need to commence poking it with a screw driver..

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I have been busy on other cars lately. I finished my super original 75 Camaro and have been looking under the wrapper of my newly acquired 71 Camaro. But today, I got back on the 69!
In preparation for replacing the rockers, I made a locater brace that bolts into the seatbelt hole (thanks Patrick!) I started removing the remaining quarter pieces and got a good look at the B pillar. Of course it has a rotten section I must repair. I painted around the quarter jamb support so it would leave an outline of it's exact location so I can remove it to get to the B pillar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I finished removing the quarter jamb brace and and then reinforced the horizontal bracing for the car.
I cut out the center section of the rocker with a sawzall and sand came pouring out...about 2lbs worth!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I finished removing the driver's rocker panel and found more rot. More patches to be made..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I started cleaning up the good metal while preparing to make some patches..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Final fitment for the A-pillar patch will be determined by trial fitting the rocker.
I turned my attention to the B-pillar..
After making a cardboard patch, I called it quits for the day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I finished the patch and made the bends by hand using trial and error. I finally got it and started trial fitting the heavy rocker. On and off over and over...Till my back hurt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I finally got the driver's side rocker welded in place. I started welding in the lower A-pillar patch as well.
IMG_1364.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
Looks pretty awesome Tony. whats next?

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
So I have been doing some detective work using the old paperwork that I found in the glove compartment of this car. I traced back to the 3 previous owners back to 1989. I spoke to each of them. I put together some history of the car...
in 1989 the car was wrecked in the front end and brought to a salvage yard to scrap. The owner of the salvage yard bought the car as is before it made it inside the salvage yard. He replaced the front clip and interior from another car and re assembled the car. He sold it to a friend of his in 1989 who dropped a 350 in it and drove in for a few years around Panama City beach in Florida until the floorpans and other areas started to rust through from the salt air. The car was parked for about 7 years and then he sold the car to his friend's wife. She purchased the car as an anniversary gift for her husband. He drove the car briefly and then took it apart and put it on a rotisserie. The car sat for a few years and then the car was sold to another friend who let it sit for about 10 years who sold the car to me.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
When making patches for panels, what guage thickness steel did you use? What kind of steel?

81 - 100 of 110 Posts