Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 886 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I just got me a 68 Camaro convertible project a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to document the tear down and reassembly with you guys and hopefully get some advice along the way.

I have had my share of first gen Camaros but this will be my first deep resto where I will have to replace many body panels. I have been researching mig welding and got myself a lincoln pro mig 140 welder with Argon/Co2 bottle.
When I get home I will start posting photos starting with the day she showed up on my doorstep in MUCH worse condition than expected :(. Even the rust was rusted!
As I got into it I discovered that structurally she was sound with good trunk, shock towers, and rockers.
I will need to replace the floorpan (I have ordered a new one piece convertible pan)
both full quarters
radiator support
trunk lid
trunk lid support with hinges
inner quarter supports for convertible well area :confused:.
Rear tail piece (full of body filler from prior damage from wreck)
inner cowl panel
and patch work on firewall, fenders, front header, toe boards, tulip panels( side boxes on firewall??) door skins.

I have begun the tear down and found that the car was originally a 6 Cylinder, factory AC car but now has a 69 Corvette 350 engine with Powerglide.
I have found lots of critter nests everywhere and lots of rust.
Lemans blue (!!):yes:,Console car with deluxe white Pearl interior. Seats and frames were rotted to the floor. I bought a set of used deluxe seats to re-upholster.
Engine and trans run fine so I will only be doing cosmetics on those.
I will start posting pictures of the car and the teardown tonight when I get home.
Since the original engine is gone my goal is to make an RS/SS tribute using the 350 engine, Lemans blue with a white top and white interior.
Like :

I will post more pictures later.
Is there a limit to how many pics I should post?

I have never welded before so I will be practicing on scrap metal and then my floor pan soon...

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Right year and model, even like your choice of future colors :thumbsup:

Took me right about 14 years to get mine back on the road but always more to do. Have interior out now putting in black carpet and having custom door panels made to match the bright white on the ProCar seats.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, heres the pictures...
Starting with the first look when she showed up on that chilly Dec. morning..

The first walk around and waves of disappointment appear..

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Original console clock...

The seats and frames were completely rusted out and had to rip them out by breaking the mounting tabs...

Make
shift pans were installed over the rusted floor pans..

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled out the riveted patch floor panels to find lots more rust..
I have ordered a full one piece floorpan which includes the rear set area...

Taking a peek inside the quarter panels...

The entire rear filler panel and trunk lid and hinge support is rusted out and will have to be replaced...

Solid underneath the hinges...

Now these parts need replacing and are part of the inner quarter panel bracing. They curve around to the shape of the convertible well and provide a place for the tack strip to bolt into on the sides... Problem is, they are not being repro-ed.. I found a set of repro inner quarter braces for a 69 convertible. Hopefully I can seperate these pices out and use them somehow. My first real challenge..

I took off the fenders which will need patching in the usual spots..

Lots of rat nests inside the panels...

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Radiator support is rusted out and will need to be replaced.
All the factory AC parts will be removed and sold as I will be going back with a newer system with newer technology.

What is this can for? It looks like a can that had fruit slices in it!

Sheared off this bolt which held the fender to the firewall. Any ideas how to remove it?

Rust spots in the side boxes (on each side of the firewall). Do I patch them or replace them?

Do I keep the wiring harness or replace it? I'm not going for a concourse restoration..I just want to have a nice driver.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The subframe seems to be in decent shape so far...

Is this strange looking master cylinder cover original?

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The firewall is rusted along the seam with the upper/inner cowl panel.
Do I replace the cowl panel or try to repair?

So I will continue to tear down the car... I will remove the engine, trans, and subframe this weekend in prep for replacing the floor pan which arrives today.
I am trying my hand at drilling out spotwelds on the old floorpans and find it slow going. Is there a special brand bit I should use? I got a couple from Eastwood and I am using the smallest one. The spot weld seem to be pretty small. This might take awhile...

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My rockers are solid so I will be using jackstands to hold up the car so I can replace the floor pan. Is this a good idea?

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
I've been following this thread for 24 hours. Why isn't the car in paint yet? I mean, heck, that's how things are done on TV...

Kidding of course! You're really moving on this one!

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
..and I'm pretty sure that Chip Foose is not knocking on my door anytime soon!
He's too busy finishing up my '69 for me at the moment. Oops! Did I let that secret out? :D

1 - 20 of 886 Posts