Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help I can't take no more! Let me tell my story, I have a 69 camaro that about 8 years ago I built a 30 over 350, out of a 79 truck block, nothing special, low compression, mild cam. It always ran cool, never got hot, stock fan 3 core aluminum rad. Life was good. Then last year all my trouble began. I installed a vintage air ac system, there was a clearing issue with the water pump and the new two grove pulley so I changed the water pump, well I was out of antifreeze so I didn't top off the rad, I would buy more later , before i drove the car, right , months later I need to move the car and thought I should drive around the block, be good for it, right I forgot that I had never replaced the coolest, dum ***. So it got really hot 250, got home cooled it down, water in the oil. I tore it Dow to long block ,thought blown head gasket,but no the intake gasket had failed letting water into block, everything else looked good ,replaced all gaskets, but still runs hot 230 /250 just going around block, I go to electric fan puller 25,000 btus behind rad. Fan shroud , switch to 4 core rad , try different water pump, run 160 o thermalstat with two small holes drilled , jacked up front of car to burp cooling system, car still runs 200 degrees after driving around the block, set timing at 12/16 degrees advance with vacuum plugged, have hei dist, still runs 200 deg , fed up!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
SBC with AC got a 23" (BB) radiator....although a trip around the block you hit 200 degrees....sounds like a "coolant flow" problem...although with a rebuilt motor, new WP & radiator the cooling system should be clean

Have you checked every plug for any signs of coolant and cranked motor with plugs out to see if any coolant pukes out plug hole? (would indicate blown head gasket or cracked head)

Any sign of coolant dripping from either tail pipe??

·
13,722 Posts
Have you verified the gauge is accurate?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put in new auto meter guages ,thinking that might be the problem but they read the same as the first ones and I see no coolant coming from tail pipes

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I don't think bottom hose is coming apart it looked fine when I replaced water pump, and water can be seen moving in radiator when the cap is off. Haven't pulled plugs since I ran compression check all cylinders read about the same , no water in oil when I check dipsitck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. Vacuum was plugged only to set initial timing , then advance hose is re connected to port vacuum

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
if it was a lean condition making the motor run that hot....the plugs would CLEARLY show lean so if you check plug color that would rule out that

If the cooling passages are not blocked for some reason, same with radiator, "maybe" WP is not working right (read impeller came off) or your T stat is sticking closed

Given you see water circulating though both seem to not be issue

Given the intake gasket let go due to overheating letting coolant in motor...head may be cracked or head gasket but then you should either see coolant dripping from one of he tail pipes (or white smoke) or coolant in oil

This car hits 200 degrees just driving around block, right?

Are you losing any coolant?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I replaced the intake gasket I replaced the heat gaskets, now I did not take the heads to the machine shop to see if they were cracked but I took a good look at them and put a straight edge they seem to not be warped

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder about the water pump ,could it be the reversed rotation? When I get home I will check plugs and I will buy a laser thermometer to read the actual temp, also I have removed the thermal stat and drove the car no change.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more thing, I can back the car into my garage and let it ide for 15 min. and the garage will be as clear as if the car is not running.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Three days ago I thought I had gotten over my heating problem, I took it out and went to lunch ,temp got to 210, then dropped to 180 ,drove in traffic for about 10 miles never got over 185, next day I can't make it around the block

·
Registered
622 Posts
What brand thermostat?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dont recall brand of thermostat ,but I did change pulleys and they were not a matching set, so how do I tell if they are under driving the pump?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Dont recall brand of thermostat ,but I did change pulleys and they were not a matching set, so how do I tell if they are under driving the pump?
If you still have the old pulleys, match them up against what is on your HB and your water pump. If your new WP pulley is bigger and your HB pulley is smaller then your under driving, If HB pulley is the same size and the WP pulley is larger, your under driving.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts