Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know that this might be a touchy subject but i need some advise from some guys with some real 11 second cars. I am planning on building a 383 this summer with AFR heads and a roller cam that should make around [email protected] 6000 with almost 500lbs of torque at 4000rpms. At least that is what the desktop dyno says. Here is my problem I love my car and it gets driven alot, at least 3-5 times a week. I am afraid that with that much HP and more importantly torque that It will be unsafe to drive around. I think that keeping the tires planted at ANY speed will be a challenge and the last thing I want to do is put my baby in a ditch or worse yet another car. I was wondering what you guys do to keep your rides planted firmly on the ground. Am I being overy concerned? The car will get used to cruise around town and taken to work and DRIVEN not trailered to the track a few weekends a month. I'm not going to run a monster gear (3.55) or obnoxious stall speed (2800) so it sould be some what streetable I hope. Let me know what you guys think.

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 71 gm heads 74cc 1.72in 1.50ex,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 12 bolt 4.56 posi..

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
I think it's called self control...
There's a lot of room between idle and WOT.. Lots of 502's getting around these days. Other than wet weather it shouldn't be a problem unless someone is new to the car!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ya, you just gotta remember not to make excess use of all that power when driving around on the street. That power is there, but not always being tapped. I drive my car everyday, and while it's not quite on par with your motor, it makes it's fair share of power. I don't have any traction problems driving around in traffic, even when it's wet/snowy outside. It's just a matter of self control.

------------------
79' Z28 4-spd- built 355, TRW 10:1 forged flat tops, WP SportsmanII heads, Crane Energizer 230/230 duration .480"/.480" lift, Edelbrock Victor Jr., Holley 750cfm, Dynomax headers, dual 3" flowmasters :) 3.73 Posi 10-bolt

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Just because you can run 11-second e.t.'s in a car doesn't mean it has to be a monster. My car idles at 700 rpm, drives very smoothly and easily, is quiet, gets very good gas mileage, has about 40,000 miles on it in the past 2-1/2 years, and is very much a sleeper. I have had the same rear tires on it for the last 35,000 miles, so it's easy to take off like a normal car. Your attitude will play a big part in how your car drives, you don't have to beat everybody at the light, it's okay to let the other cars go first. When you are planning your car, design it as a street car first, and work it down into the e.t.'s you want to run. Preconceived notions about 'monster' gears and 'obnoxious' stall speeds will only impede your progress. I use 4.11 gears and a 3500 stall lockup converter with no ill effects, of course I have an overdrive tranny.

------------------
1967 Nova coupe daily driver
406, 10:1, 224° cam, Q-jet, 700R4, 3465# w/driver
11.76 @ 116 thru the mufflers
18 mpg on the road

·
10,147 Posts
I think you'll be OK.
I'd put a good front sway bar on it and watch out for oversteer if you use traction bars.
As long as you don't get into oversteer you can handle it.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Related to this is car control. A good driver's course can help. By this I mean on a track, not driver ed. I am going to take the Skip Barber two day course at Lime Rock this summer. My reason is to better handle car control. This is not to say street manners are to be ignored. Rather, skills' development is important.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
503 Posts
You can get into as much trouble with a geo metro as you can with a muscle car. It all comes down to the nut behind wheel. Any car can speed and any car can go faster than its suposed to around coners.

I saw an elderly lady today driving around in a hemi cuda, know if that lady can handle some american steel, than I think you will not have any problems.

------------------
70 Camaro 307cid(350soon) /350th ex. dark purple (dark blue soon) in. black
74 Trans Am 400cid/th400 ex. red in. red power windows

1 - 7 of 7 Posts