Team Camaro Tech banner
401 - 420 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Looking closely at a few details before I start the paint process, and clean up the surface rust caused by my procrastination...There's a few tiny patches of original paint left...Bear in mind this car was in a junk yard in the mid 70s, then move inside a warehouse that my friend owned in about 1979 after he bought it for parts..The header chrome and door scuff plates had never been off. Interesting to find how the top windshield header was painted metallic blue under the header chrome on the front side, and also on top of the rear inner quarters..(original doors long gone but I'm sure they would have been metallic blue also) but the rest of the original paint on the windshield frame, rockers and door jambs (and the entire exterior) is ermine white. The power top frame is also blue. I also have one of the original fenders that is white with the blue bumblebee stripe. I wish I could have seen it when new, I bet it was beautiful..I've never had or really even cared for white cars, but this one will go back to its original colors..

Door Jam

windshield header front side.

Windshield header back (interior) side

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
You got me obsessed with convertible pump hoses. My previous post was inaccurate. Last night I studied the question in detail.

One of my original hoses has two 90 degree fittings. The other original hose has two 45 degree fittings.

[/url]convertible pump 1 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

My new hoses are probably like yours. One hose has 90 degree fittings and the other hose has straight fittings.

[/url]convertible pump 2 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

The photo below shows the hose connected to the hydraulic cylinder. The bottom fitting on the cylinder points up and the 45 degree fitting is screwed into it.

[/url]dfb 14 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
Thanks Patrick....Ok...So when you go back with the new hoses, you'll have the 90 degree fitting on top, pointed down so that the hose runs down toward the bottom of the ram, and the straight fitting on the bottom...allowing both hoses to exit under the brace, as in your photo..Right?..

Were your hoses leaking...or did you just not want to reuse the old ones?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Thanks Patrick....Ok...So when you go back with the new hoses, you'll have the 90 degree fitting on top, pointed down so that the hose runs down toward the bottom of the ram, and the straight fitting on the bottom...allowing both hoses to exit under the brace, as in your photo..Right?.. Yes sir!

I orientated the hydraulic cylinder so the upper fitting hole, next to the rod, is pointing down. This forces the other hole in the cylinder to point up. I have a 90 degree fitting in the upper hole that is pointing down. The straight fitting is fastened at the bottom of the cylinder pointing up. The straight fitting at the bottom makes a loop and exits along with the other tube like the photo. This is why the original 45 degree fitting that is fastened to the bottom of the cylinder is a better design. The 45 helps form the loop and prevents kinks. I am considering buying a male to female adapter to give me the 45 degree bend that I think is much better. Like I mentioned, it is a standard brake line fitting.

Look carefully at the 45 degree photo that is connected to the cylinder. You can see the hose is kinked next to the fitting. That is why I bought new hoses. If the hose kinked with the 45, it will be more likely to kink with the straight fitting.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
Interesting...Mine are just like your new ones...They're actually in pretty decent shape considering their age...I think if they are routed correctly they'll be okay, but I do agree, an angled fitting might be a better fit.

The hoses do seem delicate, I wonder how they hold up as well as they do..I wonder why the aftermarket hasn't stepped up with a better hose construction, like a braided steel setup, or hard lines plumbed to the rams, with flexible lines at the very ends. Even my wife's newer Toyota Solara convertible has the same plastic lines..

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
The 45 degree fitting on my car and a straight fitting on your car could be a Pontiac, Chevy difference or a 67, 69 year change. Who knows.

Initially I though the $100.00 price tag for the lines was too high. I thought about plumbing hard brake lines. The trouble is I would have had to add flexible pigtails at the cylinder and at the pump. (The pump shakes on rubber grommets.) The pump has a big T fitting and the cylinders have a small fitting. I think the pump does not put out a lot of pressure compared to brakes, but it does produce a lot of volume of flow. A small orifice brake line tubing would restrict the flow. Once I added up the cost of flex lines, fittings, and tubing, the plastic lines looked cheap.

I am jealous of your $75.00 bargain. :frown2: If the only thing that works in the box of parts you brought home is one cylinder, you came out ahead.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
Its good to have a neighbor that also has a 67 Camaro convertible..He walked over today and asked if I could use some things he had left over..extra power top hoses, a new in the box pump, and a new pair of 68 SS hood louvers. Sure!...I probably won't use the 68 SS louvers, since I have a decent pair of 67 louvers, but they will be good trade material for something I need. He threw the SS hood away, because it had a rusty spot in one corner...What?!!..Anyway..Making the power top frame funtion is the next item on the list so it was good timing on the rest of the parts...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
Any updates?? Love this build.

I'm still at it !, time permitting...I've retired (at 55) after 30 stressful years of self employment in I.T. and now working for a friend of mine, building two really slick LS3 powered restomod 1954 and 1959 corvettes, (and another strange Hemi powered '36 Dodge) for him. He's pestered me for years to do some builds for him, and I was tired of computers. I enjoy it and he pays well, but its left little time for my stuff at the moment.

I do have the Camaro moving under its own power, brakes, electrical, and etc finished and just had the exhaust system put on it...However the engine is running poorly, appears to have an intake manifold leak, so its on the back burner for a little while. I was able to at least drive it up from the back shop to my front garage for a pic with its cousin...Its really pretty close, I need to get back on it!

2019-09-03_01-01-49 by Michael Thomas,

2019-09-03_01-01-25 by Michael Thomas, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I'm still at it !, time permitting...I've retired (at 55) after 30 stressful years of self employment in I.T. and now working for a friend of mine, building two really slick LS3 powered restomod 1954 and 1959 corvettes, (and another strange Hemi powered '36 Dodge) for him.
It's good to see you back Mike. Congratulations on retirement! I love the early vette's, those are going to be awesome.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'm doing a convertible too. What a project to watch. Ill be keeping tuned in on yours.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 ·
Thanks!...dealing with some engine issues now that may require pulling engine/trans back out, which has slowed the progress on body, paint and interior work..It seems the car is fighting me now...lol

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #419 ·
Hey guys! Has it been 10 years?!! I'm still around, and had stalled a bit on the car after the engine install. The was a camshaft problem with the new engine requiring pulling it all back out, and the TH350 leaked from every possible place so I pushed the car to the side, as I a friend of mine hired me to build his 1959 Corvette restomod/LS3. In fact, this week I finally decided to pull the ailing small block and go through it and replace the TH350 also. I'm hoping to be driving it by the time cooler weather arrives although it won't be pretty.

401 - 420 of 427 Posts