Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a stock 1st gen. auto tranny, when in 3rd gear and in low rpm, goes to it's 2nd gear and high rpm when pedal is pushed to the metal?
Sounds like a stupid question....maybe because it is, but I don't know the answer.

thanks
David

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yes, it should. This is accomplished with a kickdown linkage that is connected to the throttle arm on the carburetor and the tranny. It basically tells the tranny when the throttle is wide open so it knows when to go from 3rd gear down to 2nd for increased acceleration. It is quite common on older cars for people to change out the carburetor and not hook the cable back up. This would not make the tranny downshift when the throttle is opened up.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx alot for the info guys, but is this with every autotranny of every year?!

David

·
Registered
407 Posts
The kick down is on every automatic I have ever seen. Otherwise, you would mash the pedal and the car would stay in third and not give you the acceleration it should. Imagine being on a ten speed bike and you are cruising along in 10th gear. Here comes a big hill. You would want to drop down in gears to say 4th or 5th and pedal like crazy to keep your speed climbing the hill. If you don't drop down in gears, no matter how hard you pedal, if it's a big hill, you won't make it. Same idea with the kick down on the tranny.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx alot denverRS/SS
, this makes everything clear again!

David

·
Registered
650 Posts
One thing to note though is that on a TH-400 transmission, the "kick-down" cable is substituted with an electronic device that detects pedal position. I find this setup to be rather problematic and difficult to set up, whereas the cable is really simple. What tranny you got there again?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BreathWeapon, I don't have a Camaro YET, I'm still searching for one. The only 1st gen. camaro's for sale I've seen here in the Netherlands are '67 auto tranny's.
So I'm just thinking if I would buy an auto tranny or a non-autotranny. In the last case I have to look further, so if all autotranny's have a kick-down it will be fine with me.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts