Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...popped my cherry....
... and just like the other one.... I have a couple questions afterwards...... :)
What should the top of the pistons look like... Mine are coated with black soot... kinda like baked on oil.... What would cause this...? I have suspected that my heads need some work...
Also, should I go ahead and take apart the rest of the engine while I am at to have it checked out since it is out of the car..... I have checked out the lifters.. and the all seem to look smooth and shiney ....
Any input would be appeciated...

Thanks...
Kip

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
As for pistons, I would say heads need work, prolly valve guides worn out, stem seals leaking. May be cheaper to upgrade heads .

I would pull motor apart and check your clearances, piston, rods and mains. Numbers will tell the story.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
That's normal on the pistons-just a little baked on carbon.It may or may not coat the whole top and should be a very thin layer. If it's thick then you just had more than normal oil leakage. All the parts are gonna look shiny. There's more to the lifters than just looking shiny. I hope you left the lifters in their original bores.They wear specifically to a lobe. What are you trying to do with the engine? Oil leakage like the carbon build up comes from valve guide wear. You may not necessarily need to take the engine apart. Why did you take it apart?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts