Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cars been sitting still for about 3 and half months. drove it last night around the block after jumping the battery. didn't let it run long enough and it died when I got home. this morning I charge it good and drive it for about 20 minutes. looked under the hood and see a little smoke coming from the drivers side exhaust manifold, right about even with the brake booster.
HISTORY OF THE CAR: about the time I put it away for a few months. I had some fouling of the spark plugs and problem over-heating. someone had left something in the radiator that was blocking flow and that was causing the overheating. I kept an eye on the oil and it appeard fine, so I never worried about the plugs, today the oil looks fine. thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
From the history it sounds like a head gasket/intake leak. The fouling of plugs was it oil or fuel?

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Did it smell "sweet"? If it is an intake leak, the plug would be fouled with coolant or oil. You really have to drive it to the point it reaches operating temp. Do check the valve cover for a leak which would cause the header to smoke.

alan

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
ONE MORE THING: I know it's common for a little moisture to come out of the tailpipes upon starting. After the car had warmed up and was driven around the block a few times, it had some "spitting" of water out the pipes.
Moisture builds up in the exhaust its normal if it gets cold in your area.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
He said the smoke was coming from under the booster area, not the tail pipe. It sounds like the valve cover may be leaking or the head gasket may be leaking, but you will have to get in there and get dirty to find out.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He said the smoke was coming from under the booster area, not the tail pipe. It sounds like the valve cover may be leaking or the head gasket may be leaking, but you will have to get in there and get dirty to find out.
to clearify, the smoke was coming from the back of the exhaust manifold ABOUT EVEN where the break booster is. Not coming from UNDER the booster area. I'm concerned about the water coming from the tailpipes because it had been warmed up for about 10 minutes and driven around the block 4 times or so. (which was good because I finally got a look at that hot chick that lives around the corner and drives the nice Mustang... but that's not important now).

I believe this to be the matching numbers motor with 51,000 miles. I'm done driving it till I get it checked out. thanks guys. (I couldn't find the work order to see if the plugs were fouled by fuel or oil...)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You might want to check behind the intake manifold on the drivers side on the block and see if the oil pressure connection is leaking also. Is the smoke coming off of the exhaust manifold for sure or is it just that area?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts