Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The roads were pretty decent, so I fired up the 69 and took her to the gas station. Of course it was an extended trip to the gas station with many side streets. I've owned the car for over two years, and I've probably put less than 200 miles on her. Last June I pulled the tranny, had that rebuilt, installed a new Centerforce DF clutch, gutted the interior, and had new floors welded in along with fixing two body mounts on the subframe. Finally got her back together and finished painting the floors just before the winter. Yesterday was the first time she was taken out in almost a year and she ran awesome.

Seemed like everyone had the same idea as me yesterday. I saw quite a few older cars out. I couldn't believe it, but a guy at the gas station took a picture of my car, and I got numerous thumbs up while driving. Also, about 5 cars stopped and admired my baby while it was sitting outside the garage. I can't believe the attention my camaro received. Its just a 69 coupe, not an RS or SS. However it made all my hard work worth it. Just had to tell someone.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Had mine out yesterday also. Felt REEAALL good. Talked my friend into getting his '69 Chevelle out too. We both drove to another friend's house and made him get his '57 Belair out. Turned a few heads on the way to the gas pumps. $2.39 a gallon for 92 octane. OUCH!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
DenRS,
I hate to tell you this but the thumbs up syndrome and head turning is something you are just going to have to live with. I can say that there are others in this forum that have to suffer with that also. The picture taking by others is also something you'll just have to learn to live with. It is a desease we have all and there is really no known cure for it.
Hope this will help just a little. All I can say is, "Hang in there buddy, we are here for you"

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice to know I have a support group here. Actually, all the attention my camaro received made my day. I just didn't think it would get so much. Now I know what all the other people felt like when I drooled on their cars.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Didnt get to take her out yesturday or friday. Rain again. Last time I took her out though some kid chased me around the parking lot so he could take a picture with his camera phone. Dang paparazzi!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Ok, I just had to get mine out TODAY and this is what happened.

First I went out to our local zone office and one of the guys was out there. He drooled and oooo'd and awe'd all over it. Then he wanted me to light the tires up when I left.

Then, back into town for some gas and this fine specimen of the female species (aka HOTTIE!) just had to come over and check it out when I was getting gas.

Then there was this cool hi rise Chevy truck with a couple of more subjects (see discription above) driving around and would almost fall out of their truck waving at me.

(now I know it ain't me so it HAS to be the '69 )

Anyway, all my mods are working like a top and I just cannot wait until the shows start!!!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I took mines out about a week ago. "the first time in over a year". While she ran I couldn't help but notice that she drank an extremely high amount of Gas. I drove to my job and back which is roughly 12 miles each way. I started with a full tank, and by the time I got back, she had drank more than 1/3 tank already :eek:

Right now she's back down again waiting for a new clutch fan, but while waiting I couldn't help but think about the amount of gas she was consuming.

My daily driver is a 95 Chevy Van and even this big 3/4 ton machine gets far better gas milage. My setup in the Camaro is as follows:

Small Block 350 4-bolt main
Comp Cam (hydraulic)480 lift/ 290 duration
Hydraulic lifters
Roller Rockers
64cc fuelly cast iron heads
Holley intake manifold
Holley 650 4 bbl carb

With this setup, is this amount of gas consumption something to be expected. Its been so long I can't even remember anymore :(

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow 72 miles a tank. With an 18 gallon tank, your getting 4 miles a gallon. Even Nascar stock cars get better mileage then that and their running anywhere between 7000 and 9000 rpm. What gears are you running? I would definitely give your car a tune up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts