Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
15,370 Posts
Yeah... feel your pain. My shop wanted an arm & a leg also.

I used my bench vise and a piece of 2x4 with a hole JUST larger than the bushing lip in it. Centered the bushing over the hole and pressed it out (and back in) with the vice. You'll need the Mac Daddy of vises though. I broke the first one I tried.
:eek:

Or run to Harbor Freight and buy a press.... but that'll come close to what the shop wanted to charge you. AutoZone\Schlep-Boys\Advance Auto\etc. probably rent them.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
And lay the heat to it!

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Does anyone know where I can rent a tool to press out the control arm bushings and press in new ones? I'm getting prices of $200 and up for shops to do it!!
Thanks for any help
In my experience it's a lot easier to pay the machine shop to do it. They have the right tools and can do the job right in about an hour. $200 is a little high, maybe you can shop around or ask if you can pay them by the hour?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Dang! I think the machine shop that did mine charged me like 50 bucks for both sides!

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Autozone or Orilley will rent you the tool for free. Just need a depost.
I checked Auto Zone and they don't have one....only the one for ball joints. I'm running out of room in my garage for large tools like a press. I've already bought a shop crane, large jack stands and an engine stand. I'm gonna have a pot full of stuff after this rebuild is complete!!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
$200 bucks hell no wonder the chinese are making parts....Thats total rip off BS
Maybe $200 bucks to pull the A frames off the car and replace with new bushes....
Even thats high...its about 1 hrs work all up.....

Takes about 10 min to pressout the old ones and press the new in.

For $130 you can buy a 12 ton shop press @ Harbor Freight. You'll be $70 ahead, will have gained some knowledge, and have a nice walnut cracker sitting in the corner of your shop.
Exactly...it maybe a chinese one they are ok for the hoe workshop....and you have some thing to do you wheel bearing, rear spring bushes etc in the future.
Also cool for squashing up Drink cans when bored.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
jersey is a rusty town, it may take a lil more finesse than 10 minutes to knock them puppies out?
ive done them where it was very quick and then ive had to spend hours and tons of heat ... so im sure it can go both ways?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
You can usually pop them right out with an air chisel in just a few minutes. I press mine in with a harbor freight press, but have knocked them back in a big socket and hammer many years ago with zero damage. :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice. I'd prefer to have a pro do it if I can find a reasonable price. If I can't, then it's gonna be off to Harbor Freight for a press. Hoping to have a garage sale in the summer for all the "onetime big tools".
Regards

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Taking them out isn't a big problem. The problem comes when you are putting the new bushings in and you have to go through two different holes at the same time. Just be sure you have something between the two different layers of metal so you don't collapse the two together. It's not rocket science but it can be a learning experience if you don't plan ahead.

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
You can usually pop them right out with an air chisel in just a few minutes. I press mine in with a harbor freight press, but have knocked them back in a big socket and hammer many years ago with zero damage. :yes:
X2 here, Air chisel and big socket and LUBE the cases and holes as well as clean shafts. I also have a large Harborfreight C clamp for ball joints, this works too.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found an older repair shop in my area that is doing it for $75 including the ball joints. Older fella has been around for 40+ years but I never knew about him. I should be picking them up today or tomorrow. I lucked out..........pays to network.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts