Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I replaced my original sub frame bushings with the Global West aluminum ones. I had to remove the nut cage on the firewall busing mount to get out the old fused nut and bolt.

I put the frame bolt back in with a new nut. The nut is a 5/8 cores thread and uses a 15/16th socket or wrench.

I can't get any tool down in there over the nut to firmly tighten it.

I was told by my father-in-law that there are long wrenches that you can buy and custom bend with a torch. I can't find them anywhere and don't know what they are called.

Can anyone out there help me find this bend yourself wrench?

If I can't find this tool I will be forced to tack weld the nut to the frame.

------------------
69 RS Convertible Camaro, 350/350. Orignal red with black top and interior.
http://www.ragersworld.com/

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Hmmm. I had to do the same thing but was able to get a wrench in there. Have you tried something like the new Craftsman shorty wrenches? One the nut starts to tighten it doesn't take too much to hold it.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RickD, Thanks for the reply.
I could get an open end wrench in there but could not get it flush enough for it to hold the nut. The bolt is tight but needs a few more cranks and it keeps spining. I even put a flat washer and lock washer under it hoping it would lock down and alow me to tighten it but no luck.

I bought a Craftsman offset closed end combination wrench set that will work if I cut the wrench in half. It is just to long. I just hate to destroy a tool for one job.

I have a bud with shorty wrenches and will give them a try.

The tool my father-in-law was talking about sounds cool if I could find it. It sounds like a long distributor wrench that is not bent yet and is meant for you to bend.

Reactions: Mike S.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Can you put a socket on it with a breaker bar to use as a handle,then tighten the bolt from underneath?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think what your father-in-law was saying is to go buy a cheap wrench and bend it with a torch. That should work good enough to tighten it. I have even shoved blocks of metal up against nuts to tighten them if no wrench could fit and then just pry it back out carefully when your done. Just need to keep it from spinning.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr brakes,pwr windows,Hounds tooth,355/T350,MSD 6AL,3200 stall Dynamic converter,3.31:1 posi,Autometer guage pod

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Mine was

[This message has been edited by Mr. C (edited 05-13-2002).]

·
Super Moderator
33,192 Posts
jrager, your father-in-law, as others here, suggesting to go to Harbour Freight, Northern Handyman, or auto parts store and buy the CHEAP wrench needed and heat it up to bend the stem for access in the space. It's called "a one-time tool."

Another tool that would help would be a crowsfoot wrench, has the head of an either open-end, or can be gotten with a box-end wrench, and a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive square hole immediately behind the head.

A nut will grab (hold) itself without the lock and flat washer, try it sometime when your waiting for dinner to get done. Neat trick.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the great advise.

The original nut was square but I had to replace it with a regular nut because the original one was very rusted to the bolt. The bolt was also very worn in the center and snapped in two when I was trying to remove it.

I am going to hunt for a cheap 15/16th open end wrench and bend it.

I doubt I would every use the wrench again. Maybe I could sell it on eBay for a ton of money as the worlds only sub frame nut wrench.

------------------
69 RS Convertible Camaro, 350/350. Orignal red with black top and interior.
http://www.ragersworld.com/

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Silly question, but why don't you just get a new cage nut? Then you wouldn't have to worry about holding it while you tighten it - they hold themselves. It might be cheaper than that "sub-frame nut wrench" too.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone know where you can order a new cage nut?

I could not find one in my catalogs.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A 15/16th Crows foot got it.

Thanks all for the advise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts