Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought a camaro, and I want to buy Craftsman tools to work and maintain the camaro here. Which set of tools do I have to buy ? Remember i don't have any English metric tools. I will do what you tell me.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Congratulations. What did you buy?

I would suggest getting one of their package deals - sockets, wrenches, ratchets, etc. The savings are significant over buying individual or small combination sets. Also, a torque wrench, timing light, small mirror and magnetic pickup tool. I'm sure others will 'help you'. Keep us posted.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
A good start would be one of Craftsman's 150 to 250 piece starter sets. There's one in the paper for $230.Includes a lot of SAE and metric. Or you could buy individual socket sets and various tools on sale. YOu will want deep well and standard sockets in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive.
You'll also need a torque wrench (probably 1/2") and a set of vice grips and channel locks.

I've been collecting Craftsman stuff for 25 years, and I still check the paper or stop into the tool dept. regularly.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
All nuts and bolts on a first generation Camaro are American or English "inch" type. The newer Camaro's hve both "metric" (mm type) and inch type on them.

My own tools consist of both so that I can work on anything!

I have sets of 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" sizes although my 3/4" set is just a cheap set from China. Short and deep well sockets, open and closed or "box-in" wrenches from 1/4" to 1-1/4" and metric equivalent. Adjustable "Crescent Wrenches", all sorts of pliers (slip-joint, channel-loc's and "Vice-grip's" as well as electrical type wire pliers.

Also the usual hammers, chisels and punches, screw-drivers (straight blade, four sided Phillips type and a few "torex" or "star-type"), a 3/8" sized sets of socket type "Allen wrenches" and "Torex wrenches", too.

Please note that my tools are a hodge-podge mixture of good ones like the Craftsman's as well as quality ones of other brands that I have been gathering together since I was 15 years old (now 54).

I still buy a single tool or an odd set of them every chance that I get when I have some extra money b/c I will spend the money anyway and this way I will have something to show for it. You know that they last forever unless they are stolen or lost!!

I buy my tools from retale stores when they go on sale as well as from "neighborhood garage" sales and "flea-market" type sales places and have even bought some from "Pawn-Shops".

I recently aquired some of my father-in-laws tools after he passed away when we lost my Mother-in-law for keep-sakes. I even have a couple of my fathers tools since when I lost him at 14 years old.

I guess what I am trying to say is that building a good set off tools is a lifetime's commitment. And it is generally a GUY'S THING!!

Good luck with your search for your set. pdq67

·
3,176 Posts
MARC are you in the military by chance if so The Exchange now carries Crasftman tools and their cataog carries a wide varity of name brand performance parts from Carbs/intakes to rims and tires. Check them out if your military. besides remember AAFES = to no sales tax

Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Marc,

One tool that I call essential for tuning is a Vacuum gauge. Everyone else has hit all of the other tools.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
Hey cavemate,
I liked your last response, being retired Navy I can relate to what you are saying. Marc lives in Belguim, so I doubt he has access to the Exchange, but Ghant and Brugge are great cities

------------------
Looking for 67 project car!!!!!

[This message has been edited by cpodeep (edited 11-11-2001).]

·
Registered
501 Posts
When buying sockets, I prefer the 6 point (sided) version...not 12 point. Your old car will have many bolts and nuts with which you'll need to get aggressive and the 6 pointers won't strip anything. Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey Marc,Im just around the corner in Germany .I go to the car show in Belgium!and besides that I'm a tool salesman.if you want to talk tools,rods or anything else for that matter give me a post and I will give you my e-mail add.Later

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have found a foam can cooler to be an invaluable tool when working on mine!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I suggest and oil drilling rig.
What does gas cost in Belgium? In Canada it is 65 cents a litre. 4.5 litres to the Canadian gallon.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Hey Marc! Everyone wants to see the new Camaro! = ) It looks pretty nice, I have seen the pics.

anyway, I would suggest looking into an air compressor and some air tools. If you do big jobs, it will cut the work time A LOT!! Check out www.eastwoodcompany.com They have lots of great stuff that I will ask for come Christmas time!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts