Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - what is the correct type battery for my 69 396? The assembly manual appears to indicate the side post - is that correct?. From what I've also read in the posts, it sound like the majority of guys are installing the maint. free with a fake top.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The R-59 is the correct battery with top posts which they are reproducing for people who want to get points at a car show. You still need a top post battery if you want to use one of those "Wanna be" battery covers.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
What is a side post battery?
We get combos of batteries that have the +ve and -ve terminals around each way...I us the one that has the terminalls closest to the engine and the -ve closest to the body... If for any reason the batter comes loose, and moves, it will be the -ve terminal that touches the body, not the +ve.

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
Top or side could be correct depending on when the car was built... I believe somewhere around Apr the side post replaced the top post.

Side post batterys Steptoe, don't have terminal studs sticking up off the top of the battery. They have terminal pads on one side of the battery with threads that accept bolt on battery cable ends. Many new batterys have both. In classic car circles guys opt for the top post and go with an R-59 or a topper that gives the vintage look of the R-59

1 - 5 of 5 Posts