Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the torque requirements different for small Block aluminum heads and cast iron heads?

Thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
No, they are the same. Just be sure to properly lube the bolts and washers, it is more critical with aluminum heads than iron ones. Use a Teflon-type sealant on the threads, and I like to use a moly-type lube on both sides of the washers. A retorque is also a good idea. If you cannot do a retorque after the engine run-in for whatever reason, then after you have initially torqued the bolts during the assembly, back off each one a 1/4 of a turn, one at a time, then retorque to specs. It still is a better idea though to retorque after engine run-in. I like using studs too instead of bolts.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I thought I would dig this one back up, since I am installing my heads now. These are aluminum heads on a small block.

All my books say head bolts should be torqued to 65-70ft lb.

I am using ARP studs and the instructions say torque to 70ft lbs for iron heads and 65ft lbs for aluminum (due to the expansion rate). Using ARP moly lube (which I am).

The head manufacturer (Dart) says 70ft lbs.

I just thought I would ask you guys what you torque your heads to.

I have them torqued to 65ft lbs now and will let them sit over night and then loosen and re-torque them.

I know I had them torqued at 70ft lbs on the last engine (using bolts).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts